cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Calculate part perimeter and store as parameter?

TractorGuy
12-Amethyst

Calculate part perimeter and store as parameter?

I have several parts that I am working on that I need to create an estimate for. One section of the estimate involves calculating the overall perimeter of the part and any holes to determine how much laser cutting is involved. In the past I have just used the Analysis->Measure->Length tool to pick all of the edges and get an overall length. This is fine for one or two parts, but it is very tedious for 30+ parts with complicated shapes. Because of this, I am looking for a way to get the overall perimeter of my sheet metal flat pattern and store it as a parameter. Any recommended methods for doing this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
4 REPLIES 4

Maybe there is something in the manufacturing extension that can mimic this requirement. Maybe if in manufacturing you can set up a mill with a small bit, set the cutting speed, and use the duration for the final cut to approximate the perimeter (speed*time). You will have some error unless you compensate for the bit offset.

I don't see any way that core Creo can do what you are after.

Not at a machine to try it out, but how about creating a cross section in the flat pattern parts, at half sheetmetal thickness say, then create datum curve from X-Sec and create an analysis feature referencing the curve feature in it's entirity. You should then have a parameter LENGTH in each, stick 'em on a drawing use Pro/Report to sum them.

or, and this is hoping... ... ... stick ALL your flat patterns in an assembly on the same horizontal plane but not touching on another. Create an assembly level cross-section, create a datum curve from X-Sec at assembly level.

Stick an anaysis feature on THAT curve and have the whole perimeter of all of them????

That may be wishful thinking, although if it does work you'd just add in a new bits and it would update the perimeter

You can use search tool to select curves or even edges.

search.JPG

Top Tags