cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Can Creo 1 import excel x-y or point data to form a curve?

Peter1
1-Newbie

Can Creo 1 import excel x-y or point data to form a curve?

Hello all,

Let's say I have a bunch of X - Y data that forms a complex curve in Excel. Just 2 colums of data.

Now let's say, I want to bring that data into Creo 1 (M40), how would I do that?

Do I need to convert it to a CSV file?

Do I need to convert it to a 2D cad file first?

Do I need to use a special file with special syntax?

I need to take this data, probably as points and then form a datum curve to form a surface.

What do you think the easiest way to do this is? Keep in mind the original data is in Excel spreadsheet format.

Thanks in advance!

Peter

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter1
1-Newbie
(To:Peter1)

I have found an answer myself....

Search in the help section "To Read in Spline Coordinates from a File" or look for .pts file.

It works great. Thanks me.

Peter

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

From what I gather by this product suggestion, there is not a point table:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/1446

Thanks,

Dale

Peter1
1-Newbie

I have found an answer myself....

Search in the help section "To Read in Spline Coordinates from a File" or look for .pts file.

It works great. Thanks me.

Peter

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

There is also a way to do this with exporting curves to IGES and re-importing them as points. Very archaic.

But yes, in your case, formatting the data into a points file is relatively straight forward.

Why would I export the data and then re-import it back in if I already have the geometry in Creo? The original question was how to import non-CAD points into Creo.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

There are many reasons you want to create a point file for data -coming- from a Creo curve.

This wasn't necesarily for your information more than I stated it for completeness.

I already stated that making the .pts file in your case is very appropriate. Glad you were able to find the answer. Not that it was too hard to find using the help files.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Hey, no fair asking a question, and then answering it just to get the 3 points!

Trust me, I wish I had found this out 6 months ago...

Top Tags