cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Can rows in Family Table be re-ordered

DennisRehmer
8-Gravel

Can rows in Family Table be re-ordered

I have a family table (FT) for an assembly. I had to re-name the instances in Intralink. When I went back into the FT, the instances were not in the same order as they were before the re-name.

In the FT editor, there is a choice for Tools > Sort > Ascending (Decending). When I pick this, it only re-orders the column for Instance Name. How can I get my entire FT to re-order so I do not lose the structure of the FT for all of the instances. I tried to do this in Excel as well, and I could not get it to sort.

Dennis

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

No they cannot.

Here is a product suggestion:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2043

You'll have to cut and paste the link.

Thanks, Dale

Dale,

Thanks for the response. It is deceiving that they have the choice there, but it does not work the way it should.

Dennis

In the system I am using, the columns can only be swapped two at a time, so if you can sort them more than than, that is good.

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/2043

(Sorry I am playing with the link to see if I can get it to link correctly)

Dale,

I actually found a work around to swap the columns. Not the quickest way, but it worked for me.

1. go to the FT and export it as a Textual Family Table

2. go to Windows Explorer and edit the file with WordPad (have to delete any version numbers

3. you will have to understand what you table is, as it could wrap in the WordPad

4. i did a cut and paste of the information to where i needed it and saved the file

5. go back to Pro/E and open the FT

6. do a File > Import and search for the file through your folders (start in another folder and search to the correct one)

7. I found if I just picked the file, as it is the correct directory you are starting in, it would not work

Like I said, a little bit of work, but was successful in following these steps.

Dennis

Dennis,

For row swaps, it is a GIANT pain, but I think I just found a way around this. You should be able to remane and sort by the instance name.

In front of your instance type "a1"-"a-9", then "aa1"-"aa9" and so on and so forth for every instance, and you can sort by this. I just re-ordered 22 objects and now am adding comment rows so HOPEFULLY next person is smart enough to add an instance in a logical way by the way I have it sorted.

Top Tags