cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Can you edit formats on an existing drawing without replacing the format??

BriGuy
11-Garnet

Can you edit formats on an existing drawing without replacing the format??

Is there a way to edit a format on an existing drawing?  I have a new format where in the signoff block, we have "Signatures On File" instead of filling in every name.  However, this is for any new drawings going forward. 

We also have a lot of drawings that were originally pencil drawings or done in other software that we will have to eventually recreate in Creo.  I'd like to have the option to fill in the information in these boxes if necessary.  I know I can replace the format with another but I don't want to have two formats (one with the "Signatures On File" note and one without) if I don't have to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:BriGuy)

Create a saved note and put it on the files that need it. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Create a saved note and put it on the files that need it. 

TomU
23-Emerald IV

It depends how the content is created on the format.  Tables are copied from the format to the drawing when the drawing is created (or when the format is applied).  This copied table can be altered and/or deleted independently in the drawing regardless of what exists in the format.  If the format is reapplied, the option is given to keep this modified table or replace it with a fresh copy from what currently exists in the format.

Everything else on a format other than tables (notes, symbols, sketched entities, etc.) are displayed in the drawing but are not copied to the drawing.  Think of the format like a transparency that lays on top of the drawing.  Any change to the format is immediately visible by any drawings that use it. 

The white text you're showing looks like it's a note.  If so, it will not be editable in the drawing.  You can get around this by placing it in a table on the format (so it gets copied to the drawing) or completely leaving it off of the format and manually adding it as a note to each drawing (like Ben suggested.)

BriGuy
11-Garnet
(To:TomU)

I have to create new templates as well.  I can add that as a note on that level so users can delete it if necessary.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Yes, same thing.  Templates are just drawings that someone creates copies of to make new drawings.  That will work for new drawings made from templates but not for existing drawings.  You can't reapply a template to an existing drawing like you can a format.

BriGuy
11-Garnet
(To:TomU)

Thanks TomU.  The idea is to use this for new drawings and recreation of drawings that were not in Creo originally.  I made it understood here at work that any existing drawings on the old templates using the old formats would remain unchanged since, like you said, the templates cannot be replaced, only the formats.

We're making our drawings to be based off of ASME standards.  The previous drawing templates/formats we not.

Top Tags