cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Cannot Remove part

ahicks
1-Newbie

Cannot Remove part

Hello

Im having trouble getting assembly checked in because im being held up by one single part that isn't even in my assembly. The part is a peice of hardware that was used initially, however I replaced the hardware becuase it was giving me problems initally when I tried checking it in.

Now somehow the hardware is linked to the DRAWING. not even the Assembly Model. Every time I try and remove the part from my workspace, it gives me the error "Cannot remove "name of part" without parent item. However, the part HAS NO PARENT ITEM.

I even opened the part, went to its info to look at its Reference Viewer. and it says the part has No children, and No Parents. So now I am officially lost.

Has anyone had this problem as well? or am I the first one?

If you have any helpful tips please let me know.

Any help is greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:ahicks)

First, look to see if the model is used by the drawing. Sometimes people will add a model to the drawing, create views, and then delete the views without removing the model.

Less often, a symbol with a leader that referred to a part is still stuck on a part, as if the part will return. These are more difficult, having to go through the symbols and see if any of them retained a reference.

For the truly difficult cases, I have had success with the following:

1) Backup the drawing to a folder/hard drive location

2) Erase everything from memory

3) Go to the backup location and delete everything from the directory except the drawing

4) Open the drawing from the backup location

5) See messages about references that are being removed

6) Save the drawing to the workspace.

7) Either synchronize of update to re-establish that commonspace sees the drawing as not-new and is-modified.

There should be no difference except the loss of unused references; the Drawing backup doesn't make changes; same parts as in workspace.

Be aware of any changes you don't expect, of any files that are modified that you don't expect and can't explain. If needed, use small steps - and lock anything you don't plan on changing.

Thanks for your Response David.

At the moment, our server is down, so as soon as it comes up, im going to try searching through the drawing and seeing if I can find if the part is referenced anywhere.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that my issue will be the more difficult of the three. So I may have to try the third option. I will let you know how it goes once I get the chance to try it.

Thanks again

jbailey
17-Peridot

Antjuan,

If it is related to the drawing, it is most likely referenced by a detailed view or some other non generic view. Is this a new assembly/drawing, or has it been checked in before?

If it is new, there is no need to back it up out of Windchill to fix this. When you open up the drawing, the status bar at the bottom (or top, depending where you have it) should show you any errors that arise while the drawing will open up, including missing view references. IF you dont have that many detailed views, it might be just as easy to redefine the view origin & outlines in order to remove the reference. Otherwise, you can just trace the reference from the views which show problems during opening.

In any case, this is a good example of paying attention to the errors that pop up when opening a creo file.

Hope this helps,

Jim

ahicks
1-Newbie
(To:jbailey)

Thanks for your reply James.

The drawing is in fact new, and has not been checked in yet. When I open the drawing it does show missing references however they flash on the status bar so quickly that I cant really catch what it could possibly say. So I am attempting to trace the missing refernce down by view, however Im not 100% sure how to go about this.

Is there a way I can click on the view and check to see if there's a missing reference or something? because otherwise I really cant check for anything. I've went to each view and looked through their properties and individual information but found nothing relevant or pretaining to missing references or the problem part.

I did however find the Model linked to the drawing. I went to Layout→Drawing Models→ and looked to see what models were linked to it and the problem part was in the list. I dont know why because again its not being used. So I deleted it, updated it and tried to remove the problem part again. However it still says it has a parent item associated with it that wont allow for it to be removed. I was pretty confident that this would have fixed my problem but apparently not.

How exactly do you go about looking a view references?

Thanks again for your time and help

jbailey
17-Peridot

If you right click in the message bar, select "message log" and that will give you the entire log.

rmb_message+log.jpg

I've found it usefull to read the trail file output and also outdated.lst and missref.lst files created in the start directory on an open.

Top Tags