cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Chamfering top and bottom of plates

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

Chamfering top and bottom of plates

I regularly cut mold ejector plates with large bores in them and I am trying to cut chamfers in the top and bottom sides of these large bores in one operation, But there is no easy and safe way to chamfer the bottom side of the plate other than flipping the plate and creating a new operation to chamfer the bottom side. In my opinion is a waste of time and effort . I can do it from one side using trajectory milling sequences by manipulating the axis shift  and stock allowance parameters but that is really not an Ideal way to cut the bottom chamfers. it's too easy to make a mistake with the axis shifts for the sequences.

I was wondering if others did this sort of thing and is it worth trying for a product enhancement ?

models as solidsmodels as solidstop chamfer wire frametop chamfer wire framebottom chamfer wireframebottom chamfer wireframe

3 REPLIES 3

I seem to remember doing something like this. I think I created a plane at a distance below the bottom of the plate, distance depending on the geometry of the cutter (I'm assuming you're using a nice insert cutter) and the chamfer size. I then defined the chamfer sequences as trajectory cuts, using that plane. And don't, as I definitely remember doing, forget a lead-in or lead-out for any of the sequences.

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:KenFarley)

Ken that's pretty much what I did. It seems pretty iffy as far as programming goes though. Have to check recheck then check again to be sure there are no oops darn cut though the wall on retract. It would be nice if PTC would help out a little with a back chamfer sequence that would recognize that the cutter need to start on the axis of the hole so you can do this with out jumping through hoops. There is a  back bore chamfer available but we don't bore any holes they are all milled.

I know, it places the burden of getting things correct all on our calculations and entering the right parameters. For these things I usually end up creating one cut motion, giving it the proper lead in and lead out, checking it, then making sure the simulation looks okay. I copy that motion with its attached "extras" (including the retract) and "redefine" it, changing the driving sketch to cover another profile, etc. Tedious work, with a lot of clicking about.

Top Tags