cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Contacts and Constraints

breiter
1-Newbie

Contacts and Constraints

All,

I have an assembly i am running an analysis on. It consists of an inner race, outer race and a key between the two locking the two together in a certain direction. I want to apply a torque to the outer race that will transfer theload through the key and into the inner race.

My question is, how would one set up the contacts and constraints for this. I applied contacts around the keybut when i run the simulation it says the model is unconstrained, but if i constrain the key it seems like it would be fixed and would'nt act as it should. Should you need both contacts and constraints, i just want the key to "float" between the two races until contact is made with the inner race.

Any thoughts?

Brad

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hello Brad,
Are there any constraints applied that restrict translation along the center axis of your components? If contacts are only created on the side surfaces of the key and keyway additional constraints or contacts will be required to ensure no rigid body motion along the axis of your components. Also, take note to create these additional constraints that only restrict motion along the axis of your components so that the additional constraint itself does not influence the results.

If that still doesn’t fix the problem post back and I will take a closer look.
Thanks,

Stephen Seymour, PE
Principal Engineer
Seymour Engineering & Consulting Group
<u>www.seymourecg.com</u>

Top Tags