cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Create keep out zone in Creo

RussC
5-Regular Member

Create keep out zone in Creo

Is there a way to create a volume in a model which I want to be shown in the model in some way as a "keep out zone", but not show up on a drawing. For example, we use valves that require 6 inches to remove the plastic cover. Therefore, we can't locate another component within 6 inches of the top of the valve cover. I would like this to be a feature in the model so that when users are installing these valves they can see the volume which they must make sure other parts stay out of to allow enough room to remove the plastic cover. The trick is, since this volume isn't really there, I don't want it shown when the valve is used on drawings, I only want it visible in parts and assemblies that use the valve. I can't seem to come up with a good solution to handle this, has anyone else found a good way to deal with this situation?

3 REPLIES 3
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:RussC)

You could put them in the model and the filter them out of the BOM if that is what you are asking.

IceDog
2-Guest

I would set up the filter as a flexible component. Have the main representation have the keep out as a feature which is suppressed by default. That would allow it to be used in the drawing without the keep out. Then for the assemblies have the keep out feature resumed (unsuppresed). This allow thre to be one file with multiple representaitons.

I've put a link to a yout tube video on flexible components below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X4dPr__sLM

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

I might suggest an offset datum plane sized to conform to the keepout zone. You might also use an axis up to that datum plane, again, sized to the new plane, just to make it symbolically complete.

Otherwise, display states will help you hide geometry for drawings.

The ability to size datum planes and axes is a nice feature I've never had the pleasure of using in 2000i. Now if only we could position them perfectly to specific size and locations in their X-Y relation would be nice too.

Top Tags