cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Creating a partial or broken view for a single part inside a sub-assembly drawing.

MikeJ85
5-Regular Member

Creating a partial or broken view for a single part inside a sub-assembly drawing.

Hello all.  Hoping you can help me find a solution to a drawing view problem we are having  Using Creo 3.0. 

I have a sub-assembly that, depending on the configuration, has a single part which can protrude out much further than the main components of the sub-assembly.  This forces us to scale the entire sub-assembly down to fit it into the bounds of the drawing sheet.

The part is rather minor as far as representing it in the drawing, and what I would like to do is find a way to do a partial or broken view of JUST the part in the sub-assembly drawing so I can keep the view scaled larger than I would be able to with the full part being visible.  Moving the part to another sub-assembly would not be an option, and I would rather not hide it either.

Is there a solution for this?  Thanks in advance!

A dumbed-down representation.  The main body represents a bundle of many parts, while the protrusion represents a single part that extends away from the majority of the sub-assembly.  Depending on the configuration of this sub-assembly, the part in question can be much longer or shorter.

PTCCOM1.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:MikeJ85)

In the view properties under visible area, you can use broken view or partial view.

MikeJ85
5-Regular Member
(To:StephenW)

The issue is that this sub-assembly is used heavily on many different assemblies and configurations.  many (most) times, this part is not even used.  I was hoping there was a way to control this from a part level, rather than the overall sub-assembly.  Further, I don't want to display a partial or broken view of the part on the part-level drawing.  Only want to show partial/broken view of the part when it is present at the sub-assembly level. 

StephenW
23-Emerald II

broken-view-2.jpg

You would be controlling this in the drawing view, it only affects the view that is set to broken view (or partial view).

So you would set the assembly view in question to broken. It has zero affect on the part or assembly model.

MikeJ85
5-Regular Member

Hmm, I suppose this would work for our situation, assuming I could control turning it on or off via programming with view states so it only produces the broken view when necessary.  I know that setting the view will not affect the actual sub-assembly or components, but my worry is that if I set the view how I want it with a specific configuration, it will interfere with views when the part is not present or the assembly is smaller or larger, etc.  Thanks for your help.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

You didn't really mention that you were trying to do this automatically. My suggestion is specifically for a view created and then manipulated by the user to create a broken view. I have no clue if you can control this via automation (pro-program or view states or otherwise).

MikeJ85
5-Regular Member

@StephenW wrote:

You didn't really mention that you were trying to do this automatically. My suggestion is specifically for a view created and then manipulated by the user to create a broken view. I have no clue if you can control this via automation (pro-program or view states or otherwise).

Sorry,  Yes we have a base sub-assembly that is used on multiple models and configurations.  A specific configuration or one of many configurations (as this is all custom work) uses the part that creates view issues.  We use layouts to control everything.  when the layout is configured one way, this part will be introduced, it could be extending to the left or right of the assembly, or if it is configured in a multitude of other ways, the part will not be present.   I need to come up with a solution robust enough to not affect the many other configurations and happen automatically, as we almost never have to touch this drawing when we export all of our files.  We have auxiliary programming that scales and places the drawing views, etc.

That is why I was hoping there was some way to create part-level view instructions in a sub-assembly view.  If I am even making sense...

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

What about using a partial view with the boundary set to the main part of the assy.  When this part isn't present, it'll just look like a normal view, when it is a spline will show indicating that it's cut off.  This assumes that you don't need to see the part of that component which is cut off.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
MikeJ85
5-Regular Member
(To:dgschaefer)

@dgschaefer wrote:

What about using a partial view with the boundary set to the main part of the assy.  When this part isn't present, it'll just look like a normal view, when it is a spline will show indicating that it's cut off.  This assumes that you don't need to see the part of that component which is cut off.

This is sort of where I was leaning, however I would have to do a lot of testing on all of the different configurations to be sure that I didn't clip anything out that I didn't want to.  It also does throw in a constraint that we would always have to be conscious of, which I would like to avoid, but may be the only option.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Top Tags