cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Creo 3.0 STEP import

carguy333
1-Newbie

Creo 3.0 STEP import

Hello PTC Community,

I have a simple question regarding Creo 3.0. My company has been using WF4.0 and only recently made the shift to Creo. In fact, we have skipped Creo 2.0 and switched straight to Creo 3.0. My question is a simple one.

When I was running WF4.0 I was able to create a new assembly from our default start template. Then, I could go to INSERT>SHARED DATA>FROM FILE and import a step file. Now in Creo 3.0, if I create a new assembly from the default template and use the GET DATA>IMPORT option the only files types which show up are .emn files ("all file" types has been selected).

Curiously, if I do the same operations within a newly created part file then I get the option to import a STEP file. Equally confusing is the fact that I can open a step file from the OPEN menu manager and choose to import as an assembly but importing it directly into an assembly which I've created is no longer an option.

Did PTC remove the option to import STEP file into assemblies? Or is there a config option that I have to enable?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

It could be an oversight. Have you considered sending this in as a support case?

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I considered this except for the fact that I tried the same operation within Creo 2.0 and I got the same result. This is why I believe it has either been removed from the core functionality or I need to enable the functionality via a Config.pro option...

Regards,

Mike

Possibly I never noticed a difference from this behavior in previous versions. I just don't recall inserting and STEP files into assemblies; I recall often opening assembly STEP files and having Pro/E create matching assemblies and parts.

It makes sense to import STEP data into a part file as it can become a solid feature in the part.

It is confusing to me to think of importing it into an assembly because an assembly can't have added-material features and I think can't create parts as part of the import.

This is different when an assembly STEP file is opened as opening it can create part models during opening, prior to creating and adding the parts to the assembly. I guess importing could do the same thing, except I don't know where would the original STEP assembly be slotted in.

In the part, you can select the import and replace it with new geometry, but that would not reasonably happen re-importing a STEP assembly.

Maybe part of the answer lies in the ability to assign templates to opening STEP files. It is all "black box" to me but I suspect there is a lot of fine tuning capabilities for imports that we are missing out on without special knowledge. Accuracy control is the 1st that comes to mind.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:carguy333)

I just did a quick test myself. In Wildfire 5, you cannot insert a STEP file into an existing assembly. Pro/e forces you to use a new assembly (which can pull from the template). The only import options for adding data to an exising assembly are .emn and .sol files.

asm_insert.PNG

In part mode you can add pretty much anything.

part_1.PNGpart_2.PNGpart_3.PNG

As far as I know, "Insert Shared Data From File" is no different that simply dragging the file onto the active part and choosing "Append" instead of "Create".

append.PNG

It would appear that in Creo 3 PTC eliminated the "Insert Shared Data" command and instead opted for simply "Open" or dragging the file onto the active model. Either way, the end result is still the same. You can still append data to existing parts, you cannot append data to existing assemblies, and you can use template models for both parts and assemblies.

creo3.PNG

Michael,

Starting from Creo, such files cannot import in assemblies. You can directly assemble those files using Assemble > Change type to All.

Top Tags