cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Creo 3.0 cutout feature???

Warren_M
6-Contributor

Creo 3.0 cutout feature???

Hello

I'm new to Creo 3.0 and when trying to use the cutout feature in assembly mode, it appears the two parts become merged instead. Any tips or solutions as to why this is happening? I went back and tried it twice making sure of the menu picks but ended up with the same results.

Thank you

Warren Moffatt

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello Martin and Amit

It took a bit of research and what it boiled down to was the parts supplied were STEP files. When I had created the new part and was trying to use the cutout feature with the assembly supplied, it would not allow it. The STEP file has no true geometry, more of just a shell. The PTC technical help suggested creating a surface quilt over the STEP file and then that would allow the cutout. By the time I started into it, I found it faster to make cuts and extrusions to my new part than the quilt route.

I thought in earlier versions it allowed the cutout using STEP or IGES  files but maybe not. I've been on Pro/E since version 6.0 so I have seen some functionality come and go, some turned out to be bugs in the software that was fixed in the following releases.

Thanks for the fast replies but I couldn't seem to get back into the forum until today.

Again, thank you

Warren

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi,

please provide details. This means picture with your comments.

MH

Martin Hanák

Hi Warren,

Please provide the steps and menu picks you are using to help better understand the issue.

Thanks,

Amit

Hello Martin and Amit

It took a bit of research and what it boiled down to was the parts supplied were STEP files. When I had created the new part and was trying to use the cutout feature with the assembly supplied, it would not allow it. The STEP file has no true geometry, more of just a shell. The PTC technical help suggested creating a surface quilt over the STEP file and then that would allow the cutout. By the time I started into it, I found it faster to make cuts and extrusions to my new part than the quilt route.

I thought in earlier versions it allowed the cutout using STEP or IGES  files but maybe not. I've been on Pro/E since version 6.0 so I have seen some functionality come and go, some turned out to be bugs in the software that was fixed in the following releases.

Thanks for the fast replies but I couldn't seem to get back into the forum until today.

Again, thank you

Warren

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:Warren_M)

I think what you mean is it's imported geometry that is not solid (like there are gaps in the quilt). A proper STEP file IS true geometry.

Top Tags