cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Drawing Templates & Formats - parameters

JWayman
1-Newbie

Drawing Templates & Formats - parameters

Good morning,
I am playing with drawing templates, and I am experiencing some difficulty -
no surprise there.
I have existing format files, one for each size, with boxes automatically
populated with parameter values, such as &title, &drawn_by, etc. - The usual
suspects.
I have created a template for each size, and used Edit, Page Setup to add in
the appropriate format as described above.
The strange thing is that, when I use these templates to make drawings of a
part or assembly, only some of the parameters are filled in. Some of them
are modified, so the & goes missing and things like :2} turn up. One of the
&pdmxxx parameters I used was replaced by '***' - most unhelpful.
The even more perplexing thing is that it would appear that it is not always
the same parameters that get messed up.
Is it genuinely unpredictable, or is there really an underlying pattern that
I have failed to spot?
I would like to get templates working for us, as I can foresee some
productivity increase, but it is not looking promising this morning.

WF2, m220, Ilink 3.3

Thanks,

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
dbowles
4-Participant
(To:JWayman)

Can someone tell me what I would use in a note to read the Drawing and
Assembly version for a folder database?
I would like a note that will update for versions in a windows folder such
as xxx.dr.47 xxx .asm.47

Douglas Bowles
Electro-Mechanical Design Eng.
Cell 520.490.9395
PGR 520.281.6146

Always assume you're the one doing something wrong, you really haven't provided enough information to know precisely every little correction that needs to be made. I also can't tell for sure if you're adding the format in after the fact or if it's included with the template drawing prior to the template's use. Keep in mind that there are model based parameters and drawing parameters, and perhaps even with the format, I know you can add a parameter and value to a format. You have to keep in mind that having the same parameter name in more than one of them will cause an issue, so if some clod added a parameter to a model that is or should be a drawing parameter, it needs to be resolved. One of the main causes for that type of thing happening to your parameters in the format, is if it doesn't exist in the model, so a good current and singular model template is also required.

In Reply to

rreifsnyder
13-Aquamarine
(To:JWayman)

PTC has fixed part of this supposedly as of Creo 2 M140 (I don’t know about Creo3). So if you are trying to use the &drawn_by parameter and you want it to come from the drawing, the correct notation remains &drawn_by:D. In the past if you wanted it to come from the model you just left the parameter &drawn_by but it sometimes got cranky if you tried to use your format inside the template or if you started the drawing without designating what model is to be used it would switch over to &drawn_by:D. As of build M140 you are supposed to be able to use :mdl to force the parameter to always come from the model without switching over to the drawing. We are still on M100 so I haven’t gotten to test it yet.

Rob Reifsnyder
Mechanical Design Engineer/ Producibility Engineer / Components Engineer / Pro/E SME / Pro/E Librarian
[LM_Logo_Tag_RGB_NoR_r06]
Top Tags