cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Drawing exported as dwg, then imported back - model view not displayed

Domen
14-Alexandrite

Drawing exported as dwg, then imported back - model view not displayed

Hi.

As the title says, I made a drawing and exported it as dwg. Then I imported dwg back in drawing and model views where not displayed. Only datum planes where displayed.

But that only happened when view display was set on Shading or Shading with Edges. If it was set on any other display style (Wirefram,...) it showed views normal.

I also opened dwg file with Creo View Express and eDrawings. In this programs the views where displayed normal in all display styles (Shading with Edges or Wireframe).

Can someone please explain why this happens?

So why is model not displayed when exported as dwg (Shading with edges) and than imprted back?

Don`t ask why I would do such a thing as exporting and back importing.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Domen)

I believe when exporting a DWG (or DXF) with a shaded view, the shaded views are saved as separate images in the same folder as the DWG file. When opening the DWG in other software, it's smart enough to load the picture into the place where the shaded view belongs. When Creo imports a DWG it does not bring in any pictures that were part of it. Take a look in the folder you save the DWG to and see if there are any image files there.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV

I believe when exporting a DWG (or DXF) with a shaded view, the shaded views are saved as separate images in the same folder as the DWG file. When opening the DWG in other software, it's smart enough to load the picture into the place where the shaded view belongs. When Creo imports a DWG it does not bring in any pictures that were part of it. Take a look in the folder you save the DWG to and see if there are any image files there.

Domen
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomU)

Thanks for the answer. I saw image files in the folder, but it didn`t occur to me, that they were meant for that. Do you know why Creo works that way?

Or has this something to do with DWG file format? Can DWG store only lines as enteties? And it can`t store shaded or color enteties?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I do not know why. A quick Google search shows that SolidWorks does the same thing. I'm guessing it may be related to the version of the DWG file and/or PTC implementation of DWG support.

Take a look at these:

http://communities.ptc.com/thread/56585

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/60420

Top Tags