cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Email Exploder

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Email Exploder

I've been unhappy with how things have gone after our company was acquired recently; and have decided to retire (Aug 1) and find something else interesting to do - which hopefully will allow making a living for lots more years. Lots of possible good situations but I'm looking at many options. May in fact attempt something like what is suggested below.

If the Exploder were to disappear and some entrepreneur came up with a replacement which was equal or better, I would willingly pay some Pandora-like annual subscription fee to be a member.

For 15 years now I've carefully read every posting - and learned more from these than from all other sources combined; good answers usually come within minutes. As many of you know, I've posted both a lot of questions and a lot of answers over the years as well - hopefully at least some of these have been helpful.

////
I'm actually very impressed with the PTC community site - it works extremely well (have spent many hours exploring it). Just hasn't had the passion that is evident on the Exploder it seems. Maybe there just needs to be some additional involvement of users to get some of the practicalities addressed (e.g. companies who disallow social media).

////
After a career in mechanical design of automated equipment in which one simply bought things from suppliers and expected them to work, along with documentation that could be used, I have continuously been surprised at the feelings customers / users have for PTC:
"We buy and use your products (at premium $) but continually experience them not working very well and the documentation is really not usable."

How can this be? In any case, rather than complaining, it seems like a good opportunity. I truly love being part of this worldwide community of passionate committed, hard-working people committed to helping their organizations do great things with the software and systems. Such a wealth of knowledge, and such eagerness to share - valuable to all.

////
Can't resist - just one more editorial...
I got thru engineering school, and did ok on Calculus and such. All engineering projects generally went ok for lots of years. I got relatively proficient at Pro/E w/o too much trouble. But - When I started reading and trying to understand and apply Windchill documentation (after 8 days of PTC Windchill admin training that was useless) I felt overwhelming dumb. Surely this strange incomprehensive way of presenting how-to info could not be intentional! But - It continued that way for 10,000 pages of PDF's - all of which I've studied carefully over the past 12 years. Now, it feels good to know how some of this stuff works pretty well - in direct proportion to how hard it was to understand and confidence in it. For sure, no person at PTC ever attempts to read / use their documentation. Seems that there is opportunity to just make many of the how-to's for Windchill admin's readily accessible to the average admin user and that's what I'm warming up to the idea of attempting.

Thanks for reading this far 🙂 Looking for some encouragement and practical suggestions.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Mike

Don't feel alone, bud. I told our consultant I'd managed CAD systems since
1985, including most every Intralink, but why am I feeling so damned stupid
trying to figure out Windchill, even after classroom training.

Thus - the Exploder, and the individuals met thru the exploder.

PTC just needs to leave it be. I've found that sooner or later, users
gravitate to the Exploder - where questions are answered, and most of the
time within minutes.

****But - When I started reading and trying to understand and apply
Windchill documentation (after 8 days of PTC Windchill admin training that
was useless) I felt overwhelming dumb***

Anthony R. Benitez
Senior Mechanical Designer - Supervisor
Applied Research Laboratories - The University of Texas at Austin

Mike,

May I say I have appreciated your contributions to the exploder over the years with all sorts of helpful Windchill advice and wisdom. I also agree that the PTC manuals and training for Windchill is lacking in providing a concise and thought out method to finding a solution. It is almost as if PTC wants you to call them for answers. The problem is, the exploder users are more knowledgeable then some of the PTC support people. (Plus I can understand the written word better than I can understand someone who speaks ESL.)

The exploder needs to stay as it provides a quick response to a question, and usually from multiple knowledgeable sources. The community does not flow the way the exploder does.

Ben

Mike, I am sorry you are leaving on a bad note. You've been a great contributor to the exploders. I just returned from PTC Live and heard about the PTC changes. I felt that when they started up another community, it would divide the user base. I did see a drop off in postings from the initial launch and it was very buggy initially. I think it is a positive move that they are merging the communities but the need to figure out a way to keep the exploders. Email maybe old school but there is not enough time in the day to scan the site for new postings (how many companies block Facebook and Twitter for this reason)? They can merge the content but discussion forums need to work like exploders do today.

Antonio Villanueva
UTAS ISR Systems

Mike, have a beer on me, seriously.
Top Tags