cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Fatigue Advisor setting for surface finish

ptc-4801989
1-Newbie

Fatigue Advisor setting for surface finish

Hi to all ptc members,

let me introduce myself. My name is Asyraf and currently writing my degree thesis in Germany. My thesis is about analysing a shaft made from 16MnCr5, with the material data i found at http://www.dew-stahl.com/fileadmin/files/dew-stahl.com/documents/Publikationen/Werkstoffdatenblaetter/Baustahl/1.7131_1.7139_de.pdf .

After finishing the static analysis using Pro/mechanica, i received an amount of max. vM beyond its ultimate strength. After that I did the fatigue analysis using fatigue advisor and received 6600 cycles. This is too low. THis is aproblem because the actual shaft will broake after 30.10^6 from the original one.

Later i used the convertion from the HRC to ultimate strength. It has 60HRC at the surface and HRC 35-38 for the core.

The questions are:

1) If I convert the HRC 35 to ultimate strength i got 1100 N/mm^2 ultimate strength (Rm). This value is way out of the range for 16MnCr5. Any idea from where comes the problem? All the setting for the loading and bearing are correct, so it wont be the case.

2)If the surface is hardened with HRC 60, how can i set the properties from the material window?Which Surface finish is suitable for this? i guess it could be basic or machine (bearbeitet).

Thank you. Sorry this is the first time i try to post a topic.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags