cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Feature cut advanced

cjohansson-2
1-Newbie

Feature cut advanced

I have a solid model wich is getting quite complex geometry.

I would like to make an extrude boss into the main body and then cut only the extruded feature.

In SolidWorks there was an option to not merge the bodies.

That technique was quite good in some cases.

You could keep the extrude boss as a seperate body, make some cuts and after that merge it to the main model.

As I see there is no way to avoid merging featrures from main body in Creo.

Is there any other useful technique to do this?

Is there a way to cut a feature without cutting the entire model?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

When you create the first boss protrusion, make it a Surface instead of a Solid. You probably also want to select Capped Ends (in Options, I think).

Then create other surfaces and merge them with the boss to cut it or add additional features (you can draft it at this stage too). When the boss is finished, Solidify it, making sure you choose to add material (i.e. do not make it a cut, IIRC) and then round it into the main part.

When doing merges it's important to choose one feature (typically the first protrusion) as the 'base quilt', and always select this first for the merge - the final quilt keeps the feature ID of the base quilt, and if you accidentally change this later on then features can (and will) fail.

As Jonathan said, surfaces (quilts) are the way to create complex features that do not act on the solid body directly. Once the quilt, a fully Merged set of surfaces is closed (including the solid body interface), the quilt can be solidified and it will become part of the solid body.

There are very few options that allow intersecting solid bodies to remain separate. Typically, these are self-intersecting. However, making multiple bodies is not an issue as long as they have separation greater than the model's accuracy settings.

It is a challenge for people to create reference data when they are use to trying to create a clean model tree... the purist phenomena. Alternatively, learn how to hide features permanently in your model by saving layer status. You can group reference features to make the tree a little easier to read.

Top Tags