cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Flexibility, Assembly, and Associated Parameters - How?

WilliamMcHargue
1-Newbie

Flexibility, Assembly, and Associated Parameters - How?

Hello, I am trying to have the value of a parameter (defined as a varied or "flexible" item) within a part be assigned the value of a parameter in an assembly the part is placed in. I have set the "Assoc. Param" field for the component's varied item parameter to be the name of a parameter in the assembly, but the varied item parameter does not take up the assembly's parameter's value--it uses the "new value" in the varied item row. I've looked everywhere I can think of for more details on exactly how these "associated parameters" are supposed to work, but they just don't do what I think they are supposed to do. Anyone have experience with them, or know where I should look? Many Thanks, Bill.

5 REPLIES 5

(Addendum: I am using Wildfire 3.0, M130)

I've not run across this yet, but try writing a relation at the assembly level, making sure to get the component ID right of the parameter on the left side of the equation.

Bill You must write the relation that drives the parameter for the component and not for the assembly. In the assembly: Tools -> Relations -> (Look in) Component -> select component whit associative parameter -> write the relation between the associative parameter and the assembly parameter -> ok -> Edit -> Regenerate Nicola

http://www.ptc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2078&highlight=flexible

Frank, Nicola, Hugo, Thank you for your posts, it was just what I needed to make this work. The vocabulary within Pro/E sometimes is ambiguous. "Associated Parameter" to me meant that it would associate an assembly parameter with the component's flexible parameter. What really is happening is that a new name is associated with the component's flexible parameter, for the purpose of assignment. I made the associated parameter names the same as the component's flexible parameter names so they are easy to remember, but I can see where different names would be useful if there were conflicts with assembly parameter names. Again, thank you very much. I hope I can return the favor in this forum. Regards, Bill.
Top Tags