cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Frames Manager (PDMLink)

mjenkins
5-Regular Member

Frames Manager (PDMLink)

Does anyone know the equivalent procedure in PDMLink to "undo a save"?

I used to be able to accomplish this throught the Frames manager in IntraLink.

Michael R. Jenkins P.E.
Design Engineer
Direct: 816-801-2332
Fax: 816-891-9432

Commercial Vehicle Systems
Haldex Brake Products Corporation
10930 North Pomona Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64153-1215

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:mjenkins)

What version of PDMLink?
PTC claims that 95% of Pro/Intralink 3.x is in 9.1. Not sure how much of Intralink is in PDMLink at 9.1. While both are built on Windchill and Intralink is basically a subset of PDMLink, They may not share actual code base, just design philosophy.
I don't remember if frames was in the 95% or the 5%.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
wfalco
15-Moonstone

The last I recall seeing Frames was the ole 3.x. I was told its suppose
to be back. No clue where.

It may have to do with what revision of Wildfire you are using?

When we upgrade from WildFire 3 to 4 we were then able to go back into
the frame history of PdmLink 9.1

Regards,

Here's what I put together for our users:

PDMLink 9.1 now has frames. Frames allow you to go back to a previous iteration of an object in your workspace.

Frames don't work quite like they did in Intralink. Intralink was linear, you could only step back though the events in a step by step fashion. PDMLink 9.1 on the other hand allows you to apply any frame shown in the event manager.

There are two major ways to access Frames.

* Use the Event Manager,
* Revert to the previous Frame in the workspace
Using the Event Manager

[cid:image001.jpg@01CB9793.3F1923F0]

As you can see from the event manager shown above, not every event records a frame. The frame event icon looks like this:
[cid:image002.jpg@01CB9793.3F1923F0]

Look closely at the Event Manager shown above. You will notice that the last time I saved, (the 2nd row), has not generated a frame yet. A frame for that save will be made the next time I save.

[cid:image003.jpg@01CB9793.3F1923F0]

Notice in the image above that the saved frames span multiple days.

The likelyhood that your going to be successful in applying a frame from a different day, is pretty slim.

Also notice that you can't tell from the event manager what object & workspace that frame relates to. You would have to look at the information on that event to tell what object it relates to.

Workspace Frame Menu
The other way to use frames is to pick Apply previous Frame from within the workspace menu.

Please note that if you open an existing file from your workspace and start making changes to it, no initial frame is recorded. Therefore there's no way to revert back to the unmodified file, except for erasing it from memory. Once you save, then a frame is recorded.

[cid:image004.jpg@01CB9793.3F1923F0]

Apply previous Frame - If there is a previous frame for this workspace it will be applied.
Warning, if you pick Apply previous Frame multiple times, you're not stepping back in time, you're toggling between the current and previous versions.

Lock Current Frame - Places a lock on the current frame so it will not be purged or automatically deleted.

Purge Frames - Purges all the (unlocked) past frames associated with the workspace. The most recent frame and any locked frames are not purged.

These menu options will not show up if the Workspace Frame Stack Size is set at 0. Zero is the default.

Setting the Workspace Frame Stack Size
Pick the Home Tab, Utilities, Preference Manager

Set the Workspace Frame Stack Size to the number of frames you want the system to save. 20 should be more than sufficent.

[cid:image005.jpg@01CB9793.3F1923F0]

Note - once the limit is reached the oldest frames in the stack will be deleted as new frames are created. Locked frames will not be deleted.

David Haigh
mjenkins
5-Regular Member

That is exactly what I was looking for! Unfortunately I had not set Workspace Frame Stack Size yet so it will have to be for next time around...

In Reply to David Haigh:
Here's what I put together for our users:

PDMLink 9.1 now has frames. Frames allow you to go back to a previous iteration of an object in your workspace.

Frames don't work quite like they did in Intralink. Intralink was linear, you could only step back though the events in a step by step fashion. PDMLink 9.1 on the other hand allows you to apply any frame shown in the event manager.

There are two major ways to access Frames.

* Use the Event Manager,
* Revert to the previous Frame in the workspace
Using the Event Manager

[cid:image001.jpg@01CB9793.3F1923F0]

As you can see from the event manager shown above, not every event records a frame. The frame event icon looks like this:
[cid:image002.jpg@01CB9793.3F1923F0]

Look closely at the Event Manager shown above. You will notice that the last time I saved, (the 2nd row), has not generated a frame yet. A frame for that save will be made the next time I save.

[cid:image003.jpg@01CB9793.3F1923F0]

Notice in the image above that the saved frames span multiple days.

The likelyhood that your going to be successful in applying a frame from a different day, is pretty slim.

Also notice that you can't tell from the event manager what object & workspace that frame relates to. You would have to look at the information on that event to tell what object it relates to.

Workspace Frame Menu
The other way to use frames is to pick Apply previous Frame from within the workspace menu.

Please note that if you open an existing file from your workspace and start making changes to it, no initial frame is recorded. Therefore there's no way to revert back to the unmodified file, except for erasing it from memory. Once you save, then a frame is recorded.

[cid:image004.jpg@01CB9793.3F1923F0]

Apply previous Frame - If there is a previous frame for this workspace it will be applied.
Warning, if you pick Apply previous Frame multiple times, you're not stepping back in time, you're toggling between the current and previous versions.

Lock Current Frame - Places a lock on the current frame so it will not be purged or automatically deleted.

Purge Frames - Purges all the (unlocked) past frames associated with the workspace. The most recent frame and any locked frames are not purged.

These menu options will not show up if the Workspace Frame Stack Size is set at 0. Zero is the default.

Setting the Workspace Frame Stack Size
Pick the Home Tab, Utilities, Preference Manager

Set the Workspace Frame Stack Size to the number of frames you want the system to save. 20 should be more than sufficent.

[cid:image005.jpg@01CB9793.3F1923F0]

Note - once the limit is reached the oldest frames in the stack will be deleted as new frames are created. Locked frames will not be deleted.

David Haigh
Top Tags