cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Geometry Check - Critical or Not???

NEALROSENBLUM
1-Newbie

Geometry Check - Critical or Not???

All,

I have almost never used the Geometry Check feature in Pro|E unless I have a feature regeneration failure. If I don't have a feature regeneration failure, then why look? Right? Maybe wrong...

There is ONE major thing that I avoid in Pro|E: CIRCULAR REFERENCES

If I create a circular reference, then I do whatever it takes to eliminate it. But how about Geometry Checks? Should I hate and avoid them as muchas circular references? My models are working great! I can redefine, modify, regenerate, assembly, mirror, etc. without any problems whatsoever.

Should I be concerned?

Wildfire 4.0, M070

Sincerely,
Neal Rosenblum
Geometrix Engineering, Inc.
201 N. 13th Avenue
Hollywood, FL 33019
Ph:954-920-2049
Fax: 954-920-9574
Cell:954-649-9399
<u>neal@geometrixeng.c</u>

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

We undertake a lot of surfacing so if the Geom. Check tells me I have a
flipped surface or an open surface, then I know I'll have trouble
further down the line and I will fix it. If it tells me I have small
surfaces then, so what, this is the design intent so it can be ignored.
I look upon it as a check rather than a rule; however, I have known some
companies that will not accept a model with Geom. Checks in it. It all
depends on your company standards (and how well you get on with your
checker)!

Geom checks can be critical or they can be nothing at all. If you have them in your model, you should defiantly know what they are. They risk is twofold. First, your model may be working great now, but it may crash later down the road when you update to new versions and new build codes or just for some reason you never really figure out. Second, you need to know what you are pushing down stream to your manufacturers. Inconsistency in edges and points can create problems for the mold builder or others who need to import the geometry into other CAD/CAM software.

Most to all geom checks can be fixed. It will depend on the specific issues and how far back in the feature tree you are willing to go to change the areas that are producing the geom checks. Also, depending on where you set the accuracy of your model, you can produce more or less geom checks. Make sure the accuracy is sized according to your model size to smallest feature size.

My view is take the time up front to fix the issues. Pro can be very unforgiving down the road if you don't.

Regards,

Patrick Fariello

Neal, Patrick hit the nail on the head.

A geometry check sometimes means that Pro/E is "ignoring" a problem it can't resolve. You may have modeled "design intent", but Pro/E's telling you that it is having trouble creating that geometry.

Geometry checks have definitely burned us with file conversion. In most cases, it affects us when we transfer Pro/E geometry into our finite-element software. If the geometry doesn't transfer, then it almost always is due to a Geometry Check in the Pro/E model. We fix the Geometry Check, then the geometry almost always transfers.

We have had 1 or 2 cases where a customer wasn't able to use our geometry. Again, fixing the Geometry Check resolved the file conversion errors.

The trend we're seeing is towards manufacturing / inspection using 3D models. Having clean models is absolutely critical in these cases.

Andrew Kelly, P.E. | Senior Engineer | Crane Aerospace & Electronics | +1 440 326 5555 | F: +1 440 284 1090

----- 7 -----
Subject: Geometry Check - Critical or Not???

Geom checks can be critical or they can be nothing at all. If you have them in your model, you should defiantly know what they are. They risk is twofold. First, your model may be working great now, but it may crash later down the road when you update to new versions and new build codes or just for some reason you never really figure out. Second, you need to know what you are pushing down stream to your manufacturers. Inconsistency in edges and points can create problems for the mold builder or others who need to import the geometry into other CAD/CAM software.

Most to all geom checks can be fixed. It will depend on the specific issues and how far back in the feature tree you are willing to go to change the areas that are producing the geom checks. Also, depending on where you set the accuracy of your model, you can produce more or less geom checks. Make sure the accuracy is sized according to your model size to smallest feature size.

My view is take the time up front to fix the issues. Pro can be very unforgiving down the road if you don't.

I once was not concerned at all about geom checks, but I have become
more picky about them recently. I've found that when I find a feature
that should be a slam dunk to build doesn't work, there is frequently a
geom check earlier in the model. Resolving that will allow the feature
to build.

There are some that I tend to ignore. Tiny edges or small surfaces are
two. Generally if pro|E is telling me something that I already know (I
created a tiny edge), I ignore it. If it's saying that things aren't
clear, I try to clean it up. That means Pro|E is guessing at what to
do, next model change it may guess differently.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags