cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How can I use instance name as parameter on model?

ptc-5019217
1-Newbie

How can I use instance name as parameter on model?

What I am trying to accomplish is to extrude some text into a solid model. I have a family table and I want the text to be what the part name (instance name in this case) is. I have one part number with multiple extensions (01, 02, 03). I want the extruded text to change with the extension numbers.

I can set a parameter and just override that text in the family table spreadsheet, but I would like to just set the text to use the part name parameter. Any help would be appreciated if this is possible. Thanks.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Currently I have worked around it by setting up a user parameter called "extension" then set the value to the generic part number 1234_FT (family table). Then in the Family table, I picked the "extension" parameter to be one of the variables and I just overrode the text value to be 1234-01 and 1234-02. This works, but I really would like it to be taken directly from the part number instead of a manual entry. PTC_WM_PART_NUMBER is what I was after, but it isn't a selectable parameter

You can snag a substring from the part name parameter.

Hi Steve,

If you need to use model name for your parameter - do you need to create custom relation:

extension=rel_model_name

generic-custom_parameter.JPG

(system create for you parameter "extension")

New parameter you can use for Extrude feature (use text with parameter in your Sketch):

sketch-custom_parameter-in_sketch.JPG

In Family table create only new instance models - ProE/Creo automatically generate new value for your extruded text:

famtable_custom_parameter.JPG

... Open Instance model:

instance-custom_parameter-from_sketch.JPG

Regards,

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Here is more information if you need it:

http://communities.ptc.com/message/196527#196527

Thanks, Dale

... or here: 3D text - Offset from the surface is another video tutorial for you (sometimes it is not possible use only Extrude feature )

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy
Top Tags