cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How should I reference the Skeleton part?

jtruitt
1-Newbie

How should I reference the Skeleton part?

I couldn't quite find what I was looking for with this question. So in the top level assembly I have a skeleton to drive some parts, what is the proper way to reference the skeleton? I don't want to place the same skeleton part inside another assembly then create my parts right? Is the proper way to use copy geometry inside the part/subassembly? I could bypass a copy geometry feature by directly referencing the skeleton if I model inside the top level assembly but I don't like to do that.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:jtruitt)

At the very least, use a copy geometry feature in your part to select the geometry you want from your skeleton in the context of your assembly.

If you don't want the assembly as a parent to the target part, then make it an external copy geometry (ECG).  You just need to be careful about making sure the ECG is located the same as the part is assembled.  I typically either use default for both or define a CS for both.

If you want to define what is shared at the skeleton level, create a publish geometry feature in the skeleton and tie your copy geom to it.  Then, adding new items to the publish automatically adds them to the target part.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags