cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to Manipulate Imported Features

ptc-3033804
1-Newbie

How to Manipulate Imported Features

Does anyone know how to modify parts created from imported features,

I would like to remove a section of the model, but it was created from an imported feature and sent to me.

I don't have access to the native file from which it was created.

Any suggestions ???

Thanks

Rich.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

Have you looked at Edit>Remove or investigated using the Feature Recognition Technology to try and remove it?

Could you upload a pitcure of the model or at least the trouble spot so we can see what we are up against?

Edit > remove selects the entire part.

I am not sure what you mean with Feature Recognition Technology ....

Attached is a picture of the part, I am trying to remove the component in Blue.

As you can see, the .prt file was created from an assembly.

Rich

Thanks for the picture.....Here is a link to FRT to which I was referring, however after seeing the PDF file you uploaded I am not sure that it nor edit remove would help.

http://www.ptc.com/products/proe/frt/index.htm

Is the geometry in Pro/E solid geometry or surface information? If it is solid perhaps a cut through the gray surface just below the blue part could be used to cut the unwanted geometry away. If it surface information perhaps you can create a flat surface just below the blue part and merge that with the remaining geometry in essence removeing the blue part.

Hope this helps. I know you probably can't send or upload the model. If you could I would be willing to take a look at it.

-Greg

Greg,

FRT is for Wildfire 4 and up. I am using Wildfire 3.

The information on the part says that it's a quilt that has been solidified, but when you try to cut it, it doesn't work.

I tried with surfaces also but didn't get good results.

Got to check about releasing the model.

Thanks for your input.

Rich

Did you try a solidify feature? Create a datum plane on the grey surface below the the blue part (from the picture it looks like there is a surface) then try using solidify with the plane selected and see if you can choose a material direction for removal.

Just tried that.

It says the feature is entirely inside the model. Didn't work but thanks for the input.

Rich

Inside or Outside? If inside that sounds like you're adding material. If outside that sounds like the feature you're trying to remove isn't solid.

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-3033804)

My first thougt is to copy all the surfaces of the blue part and paste them into a new part file. You will then have that part isolated for modifications. If you need it to be removed from the manifold you can perform a merge/cutout operation on the imported feature using the isolated blue part to subtract material.

I think the best way to copy and paste those surfaces would be with the copy/publish geometry method.

Thanks everybody,

I was able to copy the surfaces and edges of the entire imported geometry into a separate part file and then cut away the section I needed to remove.

Richard

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags