cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to create a BOM and use it for a drawing in Creo 3.0

nray
1-Newbie

How to create a BOM and use it for a drawing in Creo 3.0

Like the title says, I'm looking to create a BOM in an assembly file and be able to use it in a drawing and actually use the balloon functions. I'm doing this kind of drawing all the time and half the drawing functions are "grayed" out and unusable. I know in SolidWorks there is a way to create a bomb in the assembly and import it into the drawing and then it auto balloons the drawing based on the BOM and everything is super fast and easy and awesome. I don't get that with Creo. I understand they are different suites, I was just using SolidWorks as a reference point. I've ventured through the Model Tree Columns in the assembly file (based on a YouTube tutorial) and messed with some of the columns but none of it makes sense. There are multiple lists of columns but no description saying what each one does; and i can't seem to find the columns I want (i.e. part number, quantity, etc). I don't know if there is a list somewhere that explains all of the commands for these (and the rest of Creo "coding" for that matter as the more complex stuff seems to have to be coded/programmed) or what but I can't find any documentation for Creo help on any of this backdoor/configuration stuff that truly accesses Creo's full potential. A little weird, but off topic. So, is there anyone out here who could walk me through a step by step process or point me to one of these hidden instruction manuals with all of this gold I seem to be missing?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:nray)
5 REPLIES 5
Chris3
20-Turquoise

nray
1-Newbie
(To:Chris3)

Awesome, That was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you. I do have one other question though from that tutorial and that's how I make the descriptions. I've added that column into the assembly file but have been only able to create some of them as descriptions, the others (imported files, .iges or .stp) don't allow me to manually input a description like I could with the parts I created. I'm not sure if this makes any sense, I'll try to share a picture later when I can if this remains unanswered.

Chris3
20-Turquoise

That tutorial references asm.mbr.description which is a component parameter. You would have to have a parameter in all of your parts (including the imported ones) called description in order for the table to fill out properly.

pdarlington
6-Contributor
(To:Chris3)

A quick way to get a parameter into all your models is to add it to the model tree. Any models that already have the parameter set will appear in the model tree. Those that don't can have them added directly from the model tree. This circumvents the need to open each model individually and add the parameter long hand.

Kevin
10-Marble

‌Another way to get the parameters in the models is to import the iges or step using your start templates for the import.

Top Tags