cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How to find circular references from large top level assembly?

ptc-5365777
1-Newbie

How to find circular references from large top level assembly?

the typical way i have found circular references has always been to open an assembly and regenerate it and in my directory i would or wouldnt get a .crc file.

problem im having now is that im working with a large assembly(over 3,000 parts) and when i regen the top level it does NOT give me all the .crc available, only for specific top level so besides open all these assemblies individually, is there any other way of doind like a full regen through out the entire assembly and all sub assemblies to get all the .crc files to pop up?

i tried model check and im guessing because of the size of the assembly, it crashes my session and model helps me none.

please help

thank you

Carlos

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12

You could try the reference viewer. I haven't used it myself but there is a section for finding circular paths. It'll be tomorrow before I can try it myself to see what I get.

that would work from the top down? or from the bottom up?

thanks for the reply

vzak
6-Contributor
(To:ptc-5365777)

Reference Viewer will report all circular references that you have at any level of your assembly, providing graphical clue about the circular path.

But overall it is quite strange that .crc file behaviour changed from version to version, it could be helpful if you submit the data to PTC tech support to analyse the differences. This might point to a bug in the system.

Regards

- Vlad

unfortunately we are not allowed to send out our data... 😞

Yes, it works both ways. You could start at the top level to determine where the circular paths are and then open just what you need to correct the issues depending on how things are modelled. In the reference viewer you'll see the parent and child features and how they relate to the current feature. To check for circular paths there is a Paths tab which will list all of the circular references, select one of the paths and you can trace the path through the features. The features that are part of a circular path are indicated by a double arrow in the top left of the feature references drop down.

we are talking thousands of parts and many hundreds of assemblies. that seems like itll take a very long time.

thats why i was hoping for a "full regenerate" to tickle all the parts and subassemblies from the top level and just have it dump all .crc files in my directory.

im about to give it a shot, waiting for the top level to load now.

thanks guys

Perhaps it has changed - .crc files were generated with the name of the assembly bing worked on, but contained all the crc loops in all the subassemblies.

Even if top level assembly components or features did not participate in the loop, the crc file would still contain any low level ones.

i agree David, what u mention is the result i would expect when i was in WF4 but we have now gone to creo2 and it seems like the regenerate function only ticlets the active assembly when it comes to generating that .crc file.

is there maybe a config option my creo2 doesnt have selected on that WF4 did to generate a .crc file for all affected subassemblies within a top level???

what do the red and black arrows mean?

crc-maybe.jpg

From my understanding the red arrows are the reference path in the model and the black is the end feature. It looks like your assembly is referencing a feature within itself but I'm not completely sure.

I know this is an old thread, but if you still are wondering, take a look at this:

16-05-2014+08-50-02.jpg

Top Tags