cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

How to hide Revolve feature in Part

Ketan_Lalcheta
19-Tanzanite

How to hide Revolve feature in Part

Hello

In part file, I made revolve feature as hidden. Still same is visible. Any thought?

Regards

Ketan 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In a part, you can hide ALL the solid geometry using a layer.

In an assembly, you can hide assembly components in layers.

In general, I would say both are "poor practice" but their are likely use cases for some users.

So if you are not able to check in the part with suppressed features, why are you trying to find a work-around?

Maybe their needs to be exceptions to that rule?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Are you refering to the right click HIDE command? If so, you can not hide solid geometry in that method.

You may want to try using part simplified reps for this application.

Yes. Right Click --> Hide. if it's not working, It should not have the functionality available like this.Correct?

Well, the "Hide" command should be there, because it does do something - namely, it hides any internal datums that belong to the feature.

I think you need to use simplified rep to accomplish your goal.

One other point to mention is that you can hide the entire solid model by putting the "SolidGeom" object on a layer and then hiding this layer.

Do you mean hiding revolve by hiding layer containing that Revolve? In this way also, I am unable to hide feature. 

No, putting features on a layer and hiding the layer will only hide datums and surfaces associated with that feature.  For example, hiding a layer containing a hole feature will hide the axis and the cosmetic thread that belong to that hole.

I was pointing out that the entire solid geometry can be hidden - this is accomplished by placing the SolidGeom object on a layer and then hiding that layer.

But this all makes me wonder - why are you trying to hide features?

Our designer cannot check in part if feature is supressed one. That arises need to hide feature.

I am actually from customization team and does not have much more idea in designing. What does mean by hiding SolidGeom object hiding through layer? Does it mean that hiding of component (Part or Sub assembly) into assembly?

In a part, you can hide ALL the solid geometry using a layer.

In an assembly, you can hide assembly components in layers.

In general, I would say both are "poor practice" but their are likely use cases for some users.

So if you are not able to check in the part with suppressed features, why are you trying to find a work-around?

Maybe their needs to be exceptions to that rule?

Why are they creating an unused feature?

Hiding does not affect solid geometry features. To make them "go away" you need to suppress them. Where I've found hiding of features useful is if I've mirrored the full model. Hiding the mirrored feature will make the datum planes, surfaces and other included geometry which can make the display a bit confusing.

Supress will do desired work, but it supresses dependant also. Layer hiding also did not support hiding of Revolve. Any other way to do so except supress and simp Rep?

Hide is a special function of layering so they mostly act the same. Hide command can't be used to hide solid geometry but it does have usage as Ken suggested.

Family tables is the only other option. I would suggest using simplified reps for parts. I use them all the time to document process on drawings when I don't* want or need a separate part model for that process.

*Edit: added the missing don't

Top Tags