Hello I need to win a race for my school. I need to design a catamaran that will go fast and be in these dimensions
Parameters of Design
-Your design must be an assembly (made of parts)
- Minimum of 4 parts and cannot exceed 8 printed parts
- Must have two hulls
Max Ht.=2”/Max. L= 7”/ Max. W= 2”
- Width of your vessel cannot exceed 12”
- Sail is not 3D printed
- All accessory parts must be printed at same time
- Maximum height of vessel is 18”
- Max. of2 sails
- Sail will be made of cloth
- There is an additional award for “coolest design”
Parameters for the Sail
-Made of cloth
- Combined maximum surface area of 144sq inches.
- Can be attached with braided fishing line (provided by teacher)
I already made a design but I don't know if it is good or not. if anyone can take a look at it and maybe make it better that would be great.
Those are academic version files. Most of us cannot open them.
Part of the idea is that you get the chance to test out unique or special hull and rigging designs.
Even as an experienced engineer, I sometimes have to build it and several iterations to optimize a design.
Fortunately for you, there is a whole host of data regarding sailing vessels and what makes them go fast.
This is one of those that you will get out of it what you put into it.
Not many boat designers here - I would look at a Google search for catamarans. Most of them will be designed by people who want to go fast.