cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Import feature .PRT Assemblies - how to explode ?

tcook
1-Newbie

Import feature .PRT Assemblies - how to explode ?

Does anyone know if it is possible to export an IMPORTED FEATURE .PRT so that it can be converted into pieces and is no longer just a single object ?

I am a Technical Illustrator who imports pvz, iges and step files from Creo into IsoDraw and my company is more and more using these imported .prt Assemblies that I cannot explode apart. Thanks !

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:tcook)

Welcome to the forum, Thomas.

There are many reasons people only export part files. Sometimes to protect intellectual property while other times it is to minimize the data footprint of the file.

There is no easy way to create an assembly from a single imported part file. The best bet is to go back to the originating entity and have them export it as an assembly (multiple parts). You then have the option to import it as a part or assembly into Creo. Short of that, you would have to manipulate the import part to create multiple parts and assemble them yourself.

Having said that, you could use import data doctor (edit definition of the import part) to move groups of surfaces. Further geometry creation could close these surfaces to make solids. However, it will still be a part. There are ways in assemblies to manipulate this geometry by creating parts from within the assembly. In the long run, you will need to establish an acceptable way to work such a structure. Most times, I find that if it is important, it is just as easy to just create parametric geometry using the import feature as reference. With a little more effort, I can make the model independent of the import feature.

Top Tags