cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Importing .stl files

ptc-5127006
1-Newbie

Importing .stl files

IIs there a way that I can import an .stl file and then manipulate it as a part file?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12

http://communities.ptc.com/message/225997#225997 indicates that Creo can import them, but doesn't say how. It doesn't seem to me that the results would always have a decent appearance, but it's bound to be useful sometimes, and is really no different than what the software does to manipulate and display a solid model.

That said, which module of Creo are you looking to use?+

An stl file is a boundary representation that usually uses thousands to tens of thousands to millions of triangles to represent the surface of an item.

Take a look at meshlabstuff.blogspot.com for to get a better feel for it. Meshlab is a free program developed in Italy as a university project to handle meshes of various kinds, including stl.. See www dot meshlab dot org.

"The MeshLab system started in late 2005 as a part of the FGT course of the Computer Science department of University of Pisa and most of the code (~15k lines) of the first versions was written by a handful of willing students. The following years FGT students have continued to work to this project implementing more and more features."

We use Creo Paramtric 2.0 at the University of Michigan - Flint. Thank you for your answer.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:ptc-5127006)

Can you get a .stp file or and .igs file? Those may be much more useful.

I've imported .stl files (Lego parts) and they come in as a faceted model....depending on how it is exported. I don't know what you mean by manipulate but If I recall correctly, you can refine and adjust the facets if you have the reverse engineering module. The vertices of the facets are selectable so you can draw curves, create surfaces, etc. based on the imported geometry....basically rebuild the geometry within Creo. That's what I was doing: Imported the faceted Lego parts and re-created geometry that I could then use. I'm sure there's more functionality but I haven't explored it that far yet.

A .stl file is MEANT to be faceted, it's the file used for 3D printing. BUT, even a STEP file, which IMO is the best import/export file, it's still a dumb file, with almost zero (except for IDD) chance of editing it.

Once imported, can you manipulate it with Creo View ( or CoCreate or one of the other side packages)? I have seen demo's but and not familiar enought with it when they can move holes around, change size, even extrude what was a hole or make a hole what was an extrude.

If you are referring to the flexible modeling extension, then no, it appears that faceted features are not recognized for use other than maybe something like a mirror. There are no normal surfaces in an imported faceted model/feature, only facets which are a bit different.

I was thinking of the flexible modeling if he could get either an .igs or .stp file.

I thought of that as well. Not sure yet.

Here are the import edit options on a faceted feature. See image below.

Faceted.JPG

I have a student that has a file for a hand that can be printed and I wanted to help her change some things. I guess if I had to I could just draw it up or have her draw it. Many times it is multiple times faster for me to do this. She is a high school student and I am unsure of her skills. The printer I purchased will do two materials. I was thinking of printing with a substrate that is water soluable and printing a finished product without the need for fasteners. Thus the need for manipulation of the files. Thanks for all of the great ideas!

Have a look at Blender. And (again) MeshLab. Both free and developed by mesh lovers. Maya could also be used. Not free, but ...

MeshLab is a good for its ability to reduce mesh complexity without significant quality loss.

Blender is good for almost everything that is not analytical - make parts, assemblies, motion control, movies, video edit, video compositing, video games with programmable logic, et al. All it needs is parametrics and a way to make a drawing and it would be my primary tool.

Top Tags