cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Including Cable/Harness Parts in Shrinkwrap of Assembly

Blue_Oranges
3-Visitor

Including Cable/Harness Parts in Shrinkwrap of Assembly

Hello! I'm working in Creo Parametric 10.0 and I'm having some issues with Shrinkwraps. I'm trying to export large portions of a somewhat complex vehicle to STEP format for sharing with vendors. As our vehicle has become more complex, this has driven the need to share lighter-weight CAD with vendors, as exporting any top-level assemblies as-is (even with significant part reduction via simplified reps) can take hours. And importing the resulting step files takes even longer, and I don't want our vendors to have to deal with the ridiculous load times on their end. 

So, I've taken to shrinkwrapping, then saving those shrinkwraps as STEP files to share with vendors. This reduces export file size and import complexity, but one issue that I'm constantly having to workaround is our numerous harness/cable assemblies not making it into the shrinkwraps. This means I need to have our full harness installations (with connectors/backshells) included while saving the export, which massively slows down the export process and really kills the time-savings I've gained back by shrinkwrapping everything else. 

Key Question: is there a way (besides saving all of our harness separately as a huge STEP file) to have cables included in a shrinkwrap? I guess I don't understand why they aren't able to be shrinkwrapped by default, since harness is a pretty significant part of assembly packaging, and should be reflected in any sort of scenario where you want the physical parts that need to be designed around to be present in the model export. Regardless of whether or not cable features are just cosmetic, they represent a physical aspect of the final product, and since shrinkwraps are commonly used in envelope representations of large complex assemblies, I'd assume they can be included in shrinkwrap features. 

Any tips? Thanks!

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags