cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Inserting an image in sketch

PierrePatenaude
3-Visitor

Inserting an image in sketch

Is it possible to insert an image (such as a JPG files) in a part sketch?

I use WF5.

Thank you

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think it was an "enterprise" license when I had it.

If you want to import the graphics on a plane you must first create an outline. You do this by creating a sketch on the plane. Then fill the oultine with a surface. Then add your graphics via texture. Then you can create a sketch over the top of that using sketcher. The only reason I do this is to create a more realistic look since I have curved & flat surfaces. My graphics wont lay or look right. If you are hving problems with your graphic you can send one & I can make sure it will work.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

You can create a sketch in 3d then fill it, then add texture by adding a jpeg to the texture. You will have to create a new appearance then add your texture to it. If you are not familiar with this then I can give you more detailed instructions. Just let me know.

ScreenHunter_05 May. 22 15.17.gif

Mike,

Thank you very much for your answer.

Yes, I am familiar with this process. But I don't want the image to be on a part face, but on a plane. My goal is to use the image (JPG file) to "trace" a sketch.

Any idea?

Regards,

I do not see a way to do this!

Even ACAD has this functionality....you could sketch in ACAD (after inserting your picture) then save the sketch as a DXF and import it into a sketch in Pro/Creo.

That's the only option I can see....unless you can somehow turn that vector image into a raster image and save it as an Adobe Illustrator file.

No problem. You can us e the image in PRO & trace what you want from it. Are you wanting to create a design off the graphic or just for looks? I do a lot of graphics where I just trace the outline & fill with different graphics mainly because my surfaces are curved & flat. If you are good with ACAD you can do your tracing there.

Thank you both.

So in conclusion, no way to do this directly in ProE without having to trace it in another software, such as Autocad.

Too bad.

Regards,

You can trace it in pro. I would just because that is all I have. Unless I am not understanding exactly what you want to do.

Ok, sorry for the confusion.

How can I trace this in ProE?

Hello, Pierre.

In Creo 1.0 you should do these:

View-Trace Sketch-Add-Select a datum plane-Select an image-OK

In Pro\Engineer you should do these:

Insert-Styling-Trace Sketch-Select a datum plane-Select an image-Open-OK

1.jpg

Best regards, Vladimir.

I don't have access to that function (Style Tool) in WF5 : do you know what module I need to do that?

Regards,

Pierre,

I am not familiar with Creo. Using the Style tool would be the way to go. I no longer have a license for that module so I have to do it in a different way. A lot of times I just create a datum plane for my graphics. You can create an outline sketch then fill it. Then start sketcher & sketch whatever you want from the graphics. If you want to export the sketch then lay it on a 2d save it as dxf. I do this a lot for symbols & logos.

Good luck.

Mike

I don't have access to Style Tool either.

How do you import your graphics on a datum plane?

Thank you

I think it was an "enterprise" license when I had it.

If you want to import the graphics on a plane you must first create an outline. You do this by creating a sketch on the plane. Then fill the oultine with a surface. Then add your graphics via texture. Then you can create a sketch over the top of that using sketcher. The only reason I do this is to create a more realistic look since I have curved & flat surfaces. My graphics wont lay or look right. If you are hving problems with your graphic you can send one & I can make sure it will work.

Thank you Mike, it worked !

Regards,

You are welcome!

Top Tags