cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Is it possible to create a block within a sketch?

CB_10034089
6-Contributor

Is it possible to create a block within a sketch?

Hi

I'm a relatively new Creo user. As the title says, is it possible to group a selection of sketch elements within a sketch? Like the "Block" function in AutoCAD/Inventor/Solidworks. (image of the function in Inventor attached)

If not, is there a workaround? Should I instead create separate sketches on the same plane?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are SECTIONS in modeling mode that you can create and save and then import, like the sections you can use in the "Palette" in sketcher.   You can make symbols in dwg mode, and assign variable text and turn on/off geometry and turn on/off text though, so, that's the equivalent in dwg mode.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

There are SECTIONS in modeling mode that you can create and save and then import, like the sections you can use in the "Palette" in sketcher.   You can make symbols in dwg mode, and assign variable text and turn on/off geometry and turn on/off text though, so, that's the equivalent in dwg mode.

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:CB_10034089)

I believe you want to use the Sketcher Palette.  You can create sketches, save them as .sec files and create your own subdirectory files that will show up in a tab in the Sketcher Palette. 

Create a folder on your computer to hold your collections of "blocks".  Create a sub folder for each different type of block that you want to have.  Set the config option 2d_palette_path to the directory created. Create the sketched "block" you want, back it up to the appropriate folder and name it.  These will now show up in the Sketcher Palette.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
CB_10034089
6-Contributor
(To:kdirth)

Thanks both. Seems like more work than quickly creating (and maybe later exploding) a block. But I am sure I can make it work for me.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:CB_10034089)

What is your goal or what are you trying to accomplish? I understand your question but I don't understand your intent. Generally, IMO, sketches should be kept simple so I wouldn't expect any advantage for using blocks. So for me, each sketch is like a block.

It's highly likely I am not imagining your usage as it is. We use sketcher palette for all of our structural shapes.  

Hi, in my case it is to re-use geometry, and then only perform edits on the block definition vs numerous instances. So also looking for this solution that is very convenient in Inventor.... I guess having gotten used to it in Inventor, you quickly come up with other uses for the feature in a 3D design process,   

Another option is that you can create a mapkey that would generate the sketch and extruded exactly to your specifications, - just one click. Then you can create an icon that launches this mapkey  

Michael P Bourque
Top Tags