cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

List Digest, Jul 11, 2011

jeffsampson
1-Newbie

List Digest, Jul 11, 2011

Colin,

Great input given by Brent, Bernie, Lyle, Steve. I concur with most of that. My 2¢ would be:

1) communication with molder/tool builder is key
2) make sure you call out what is important to you (fit, functional requirements). This is where draft is critical

I generally put the draft in the models to communicate my intent, often with minimally dimensioned drawings. If a hole needs draft, you typically have a minimum size the hole can be and still function. If draft is added such that the hole gets too small, you're in trouble. Extrapolate that concept to any feature that is critical to the fit or function of your part. If it's important to you, make sure that is communicated on the drawing. In some cases, where I have to have different draft angles on different surfaces, I put the draft angle on the drawing to ensure that it is clear. If a dimension applies at one end of the drafted surface, make sure that is clear either with the placement of the dimension, or with a note if necessary.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

--
Jeff Sampson Engineering
-

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Great advise all around. Couple of points from general detailing best practices (I apologize if these are already covered):

- For aesthetic parts, mention where you DON'T need gate/ejector/other marks. That will change tool construction
- Surface finish/texture specification (example: MT1055,, refer Mold-Tech standards). Textures IMPACT the part draft angles & tool construction.
- Mention mold class/quality (SP1, SP3... ) on the drawing. This has an impact on tool life & part quality
- Lot order/part no/revision level/date of mfg/cavity ID can be included as notes as well as shown on drawings where you need these details added on the part.
- It is now common practice to provide only critical dimensions on the print & add a note that mentions that the master geometry should be derived out of CAD model
- For critical parts (ex: medical or food application), we request material certification with each lot of shipment

All the best :-),
Jay
Top Tags