cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Load/Import dxf/dwg issue

MikeSmith
1-Newbie

Load/Import dxf/dwg issue

Hi - wonder what I'm doing wrong? I need to import a number of 2D profiles (.dxf and .dwg) that I had previously drawn in another program, but although CoCreate sees them perfectly well with the correct filters selected to 'load', as soon as I click on the 'OK' the program says it can't find the selected file. I've tried with files in several locations, on on both my computers with the same result. Any thoughts on how to solve this? Windows XP - both Home and Professional (SP3) Many thanks, Mike
11 REPLIES 11
Not applicable
(To:MikeSmith)

Well, other users apparently were able to successfully import DXF files, so maybe you could describe to us, step by step, how exactly you proceeded? Maybe we can then spot the issue. Thanks, Claus
MikeSmith
1-Newbie
(To:)

Well, I figure it can't be a regular issue, because I couldn't find mention of it anywhere. I've installed the program on my laptop as well as my desktop and they both produce the same result - although when I moved one of the files on the laptop, I got a slightly different message. The files I'm attempting to load are regular DXF and DWG files (2D) saved in a couple of CAD programs (cadopia, doublecad XT, and even exported from adobe illustrator). I attempted a few different DXF versions today via doublecad Xt (saved as 2000-2003, 2007-2009, etc) but still no change. When I click on load on the file menu, and select the 2D filter (for DFX and DWG), the files show up perfectly - the program has no trouble identifying them. However, as soon as I select one of them to 'load', I get the message that the specified file cannot be found. I subsequently saved a couple of the variations I mentioned to the desktop, thinking it might change things, and in some way it did. I then got two error messages, one concerning 'annotation' and the second referencing lisp. Is it possible that I'm missing a component of the program? Perhaps something was missing from the download? Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks, Mike p.s. I'm also trying out Alibre at the moment, and it loads these files no problem.
Not applicable

Can you post one of the affected files? Claus
Not applicable

anonymous wrote:

I subsequently saved a couple of the variations I mentioned to the desktop, thinking it might change things, and in some way it did. I then got two error messages, one concerning 'annotation' and the second referencing lisp.

MikeSmith
1-Newbie

Hi Claus - well I uninstalled the program from my desktop machine, and downloaded and installed a fresh version. Same problem, and error message. Screenshot and file in question attached. However, I then moved the file onto the desktop, and went through the process again, and it loaded! Very odd! No other error message about the 'annotation' and 'lisp' as previous. Why would the program be able to 'see' as well as access the file from the desktop, but only be able to 'see' it and not find it from within a folder? Thanks, Mike
Not applicable

Interesting. I noticed in the screenshot that your DXF files are in a directory called ""DXF Files"", i.e. the directory name has blanks in its name. Just a wild guess - maybe this is related to the issue? What happens if you copy one of the files to some other directory which doesn't have blanks in its pathname? Claus
MikeSmith
1-Newbie

Good wild guess Claus - looks like that is exactly what it is. I removed the blank between DXF and Files and bingo - it works - surprising though, because the folder is down a whole chain of folders with blanks in their names! But I tried again with the blank in the name, and no go - so it's got to be that. Wierd, but manageable thank goodness. Thanks for the insight. Mike
Not applicable

Hmmm... I just tried this in my local installation of Modeling PE, and I can load DXF files just fine, even from directories which have blanks in their names. Weird. I'm using Modeling PE 20.0.0.22 (see Help/About CoCreate Modeling). Can you post the full path of the DXF file you tried to load? Claus
MikeSmith
1-Newbie

Here it is - it's a long way down, but as I mentioned no problem once the gap was closed...go figure. I would prefer not having to change the folder names but still, if that's what works.... local disc E:/Mikes Archive/RC Stuff/Scale Aircraft/Tiger Moth Stuff/Tiger Plan Stuff/Tiger Laser Masters/DXFFiles Can't be that it's on a different drive to the program can it? That also would be weird.. I'm using PE 20.0.0.34 Thanks, Mike
Not applicable

OK, thanks for the path. I created the same path on a local drive here, but could still load a DXF file from there, both in 20.0.0.22 and 20.0.0.34. Obviously, some piece of the puzzle is still missing. I'll keep trying. In the meantime, thanks for the report, and sorry for the inconvenience! Claus
MikeSmith
1-Newbie

Thanks Claus - I'll keep playing too and let you know if anything develops. In the meanwhile at least I can get on with it, and it's really not much of a workaround Thanks for the efforts, Cheers, Mike
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags