cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

MAJOR issues with repeat regions, "Fixed" indexes do NOT stay fixed.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

MAJOR issues with repeat regions, "Fixed" indexes do NOT stay fixed.

Ok, since we have our BOM's in another database, I need to go into the dwg BOM and make it reflect the numbering scheme in that system. So, I try and "Fix index" on an index-by-index basis....and it decides to change what I've done when I do an "Update" on either the sheets or in the ribbon tab. I finally found I had to fix every index, then fix the entire region to make it work. Then I needed to add a view of a simplified rep, with a BOM table specifically for that view, but with the 4 parts numbered the same as the master rep. I CANNOT make it work. It keeps changing a couple components indexes. EXTREMELY frustrating. I'm trying to show to management that this is the way to go and establish this as policy instead of using dumb tables, and wasting time with this is an absolute nightmare. The absolute worst thing at the worst time. Now, a couple of parts are flexible, but I got them to work on the master reps so it should work elsewhere. I can't isolate that they're the issue, but thought I'd mention it.

Getting REALLY tired of all the bugs and issues.

Anyone else seeing this? Any solutions?

Grazie!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

I think that the behavior of flexible parts is STILL buggy, the parts that keep switching places are the 2 flexible ones. I might file on this one.

Doesn't anyone use repeat regions, or are they too much trouble for you guys?

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Patriot_1776)

Please do send it to tech support. I use repeat region BOMs all the time but only rarely use flexible components mainly because of the old issue of showing balloons from table. I knew that issue was supposedly solved but old habits are hard to break.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:StephenW)

Yeah, they "sort of" fixed things in WF4, so I have no problem showing the balloons, but the table keeps switching index numbers back-n-forth when I do an "update tables", which is infuriating. I managed to fix that as outlined above when using the master rep, but on the simplified rep table, I absolutely cannot fix the indexes, and instead had to resort to a manual BOM and balloons.

Also, when I had to do a "replace with unrelated component" at the assy level, the assy DID remember all the simplified reps I'd already made, ad even the explode states, which I was REALLY happy about, but I had to "unfix" the 3, 20-item BOM tables I was using, and manually refix every index in table, and then fix the region to keep it from switching back and forth. That worked, but it was a lot of tedious work for 3 different tables. And, worse, we have some rookie users here who may end up getting this dwg in the future, and they won't have any idea what to do.

They need to fix this. Further, do NOT give us a new feature unless it 100% works. Us (dearly) paying customers should not be tasked with beta-testing for them in the real world. We have deadlines.

Frank,

What param do you use to sort the repeat region? Rpt.index?

I've found out that simp rep regions are better being sorted using a user defined param, such as SORT. If there is a component that doesn't have a SORT param, then a couple of relations in the repeat region can take care of it.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:James62)

I've got an integer parameter in my parts (BOM_OBJECT_TYPE) that I had previously used to sort (some users here didn't like a sorted BOM so I removed it), but also use on "bulk" parts (using a "bulk part" start part) to automatically change the qty to "A/R" and also have a "removed" part that shows a null quantity when an item is removed, since re-numbering items is a bad idea.

Ah, well... I think it would be better to have possibly everything driven from the assembly or it's parts, rather than messing with the drawing.

You could have more than one repeat region table file, and just tell your users to use table1 in this case, and table2 in that case, instead of having them fight with the table each time. If you are worried about BOM balloons, well you could have two versions of that too.

Working with repeat region is like poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick.

The easiest thing you can do now is to kill the table. That is remove the repeat region once it's generated the way you want, and make a note outside of drw border such as "Dead table, in case you are making changes to the assy, generate a new table".

If you wanna get it under control, think about adding SORT parameter to your start parts, and once you are done with the relations, you will never have to touch it again. Let me know if anything is too bothersome.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:James62)

Well, that parameter IS being used to sort, except I removed the sorting from the table per request. Except for what seems to be an issue (still!!!) with flexible parts, mostly in using a simplified rep, it all works. Anything that is a bulk part (oil, paint, grease, wire, etc.) automatically comes in as A/R, removed parts work. Yes, it can be cumbersome and scary when the items renumber themselves (???), but it works. They do need to fix the issues, you cannot have items re-numbering themselves.

Uhh, so the sorting is in place. In that case it's a bug.

Wish I could reproduce it.

Top Tags