cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Mass properties in assembly?

ptc-4510561
1-Newbie

Mass properties in assembly?

In my assembly I had a three components .

ex:

assembly used mmns template , material not assigned

first part used mmns template

second part inch ibm template

third part used mmks template

obviously all the baove three parts had different template.

After I assemble all the above components & check the mass properties it is showing in tonne and mm3 . How it is calculating ?Is main assembly calculating all the part template units ?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

I guess so. It think its just calculating the individual mass in part template unit. In assembly it calculates in assembly units. You can click on tree filter and add one column PRO_MP_MASS. as shown in attache picture1.jpg

Double check your assembly units, it should report the mass of all in the units assigned to it.

However, you are using a mixture of mass based and force based units in your parts. I've seen odd things can happen with that and maybe that's what's throwing it off. You'd think Proe / Creo would be able to calculate gravity, but it doesn't seem to.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Hi Haris,

When calculating mass properties of assembly, calculation will convert the units (internally and no physical change in part units) of parts to get results in assembly units.

For e.g. three parts of 1x1x1 created using:

- mmns template

- ibm template

- mmks template

will result mass as:

- mmns template = 1.0000000e+00 TONNE = 2204.62 Pound

- ibm template = 1.0000000e+00 POUND = 1.0000000e+00 POUND

- mmks template = 1.0000000e+00 KILOGRAM = 2.20462 POUND

But when calculating mass in assembly (created using default template of Creo) result will be the sum of all three masses (in Pounds) will be as 2.2078272e+03 POUND.

I think when calculating the mass properties the results in tonne and mm3 (which you are referring) are for Average Density.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags