cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Mirror a component

MukaSingh
1-Newbie

Mirror a component

How do I mirror a component within an assembly. I inserted a component but I want to have two in the assembly (one being a mirror copy of the other). The mirror icon is grayed out.

Also can someone please tell me how to change my background color to Black and save it?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Hi,

You need to click the insert new file icon,

Then select part and mirror.

for more detail check "About Mirroring Components Inside an Assembly" in proe help.

Nicolas

For system color settings go to: View -> Display Settings -> System Colors. Once you have the colors the way you want them you hit: File -> Save and save it to your startin directory or something.

Then, there is a config.pro option to tell Pro/E to use that color file: system_colors_file. Set it to the file you just created.

Then, make sure you save the config.pro file to keep those changes.

What is missing in Creo is the intuitive option of selecting a Plane of Symmetry within the Pattern command. I don't want a mirrored copy of my component(s) in an assembly. I want a linear pattern about a plane of symmetry. Of course, after some digging, I discovered that you use the unintuitive Create Component command. (I want to pattern an existing component, not create a new one...) Then you give the 'new' component a name which is a completely useless step when you want to mirror the placement of the existing component rather than actually create a new mirror image part. No new file is created with that name that I can tell. I use names like "useless", "asinine", and "stupid" just for spite! 😉

Then the key is to select the 'Mirror placement only' option. The rest of the procedure is intuitive.

In the Pattern command, you can use the Direction option and select a plane, but the distance you enter will not update if you modify the placement of the original component. You pattern using a plane as a reference, but it is not a plane of symmetry.

You may encounter a similar situation using the Repeat command. You can select a distance constraint referenced to a plane for the repeated component. But again, that distance is not linked to the original component, so you don't get the desired plane of symmetry for your new instance of the component.

Enhancement request: Add a plane of symmetry option to the Pattern command.

Top Tags