cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Model change log?

TractorGuy
12-Amethyst

Model change log?

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I'm trying to find some advice. My company is still using Pro/E Wildfire 4.0 and we are running into problems with multiple sites working on very large models in the prototype stage. The problem is that one of the sites is really bad about communicating changes that they have made to the models and our data management software isn't smart enough to show what has changed since the last update. This leads to us wasting a ton of time trying to figure out if anything has changed or wasting time redesigning something because we used the wrong models. Because of this, I'm looking for a solution to help us figure out what has changed without comparing thousands of models side-by-side. For example, if there is some way to pull up a subsystem model and run a mapkey to show the modification date of all the models in the subsystem, I can easily sort it and determine if anything will affect my design. Basically, I want to implement some kind of crude change log that I can view inside of Pro/E while I'm looking at the models I'm working on.

If anyone can suggest a good way to handle this issue I would love to hear your idea.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:TractorGuy)

This might help:

Pro/E Toolbox - Hacking the Pro/E Audit Trail

You would have to write a script that extracted out this header info. Alternatively rather than opening it with a text editor / script you can do info -> Audit Trail (now called File History in Creo). Unfortunately as far as I am aware this only works for 1 model at a time. ModelCheck might also have some tools for extracting this info, but I am not as famaliar with that.

I gets more complicated in Creo:

Pro/E Toolbox - Hacking the Pro/E Audit Trail

Alternatively you could estimate how much time this is using up and make a case to management for a PLM package.

TractorGuy
12-Amethyst
(To:Chris3)

Thanks! I might be able to put together a Python script with this where I can search anything that has changed in the past X days.

Unfortunately there isn't anything I can do about the PLM package. We have a (terrible) internally developed system that management wants to keep.

Top Tags