cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

New part starts with wrong scale

JKK
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

New part starts with wrong scale

Hi,

I am making a model based on millimeter units.

I did once make a unit conversion from inches to millimeters.

I added some 5 parts with no problems to the skeleton model.

The latest par I am making acts funnily: I start After modelling the part, I copy the geomtery from the skeleton. With the ready part I am trying to assemble it to the assembly:

The part appears very very small, it is way out of scale compared to the assembly.

Apparently there is some problem, possibly with the units converted. When I measure the copied geometry, the measures seem to be exactly ok although in inches. After that I use file => prepare => Units => change. Even if I do not change the units the scale of the new part is totally wrong.

How would I solve this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
JKK
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:JKK)

It appears as if all the parts I add now have scaled down to miniature size.

Even those I delete from the assembly and re-assemble.

How would this be solved?

JKK
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

It appears as if the skeleton is in millimeter units and for some reason the parts have been converted to inches.

Could anyone explain how to prevent this further on?

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

This is something that Pro|E has had problems with for ages and I still see it creep into Creo from time to time... but for the most part, it is not a serious problem or issue although I haven't captured the full reason for the glitch. For the most part, it is either temporary (something hung in memory) and other times, it is human error.

What version are you using? Sounds like you have WildFire since Creo uses a different sequence than you describe.

If you address all your parts on an individual basis, and verify that a unit length is exactly as you expect, you should now have a clean set of parts all at accurate scales as expected. Close your sessions and erase not displayed to clear memory. You might even close the application and restart it just for good measure.

Now assemble your parts back into your assembly, making sure the units are what you want them to be. Everything should now come in exactly to "scale". Generally, there is no difference in what units the parts use for assemblies. There are only a few occasions where this matters but in general, you can mix units at will. You can verify the scale of the assembly is as expected using the measure tool.

My take on this is that sometimes the system gets confused. I have seen this when importing or exporting files. Again, I can't duplicate the error so it is moot to try and report it.

JKK
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I have Creo 2.0.

It might as well been something I did or did not.

I resolved the "glitch" so that I opened all the parts, the skeleton and the assembly one by one and then changed the unit system in each of them separately to be the same (millimeters) and then saved them respectively.

Thanks Antonius for the reply. I definitely will be more careful with the units and the measurement units further on. The change was so abrupt, so I would think it was a glitch, or then I should have done something in a very precise order (and there is no mntion of such a requirement, as far as I know ) or maybe some of the parts was done with wrong units, and that may have caused the erroneus action.

Top Tags