cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Note Properties Dialog Box (pita)

MarkHeinze
6-Contributor

Note Properties Dialog Box (pita)

Scenario:

Creating a text in drawing mode --> "Note Properties" dialog box opens for use.

Begin writing text and need a "Text Symbol". --> need to click on an extra button to open (yet another) dialog box for "Text Symbol" which opens you know where (ie. not near nor within the "Note Properties" dialog box itself.

What a waste and distraction --> extra click to open "Text Symbol", then search for it.

Can't the "Text Symbol" elements be integrated DIRECTLY into the right side of the "Note Properties" dialog box under the button for "Hyperlink.." and then also have the "Text Symbol.." button removed?

It is such a pita to have to make drawing texts like this day in and day with this irritating non-value nonsensical extra work.

Sorry, just needed to vent.

17 REPLIES 17

It's like Google Ads. Someone gets paid for generating clicks.

MarkHeinze
6-Contributor
(To:dschenken)

...paid for generating clicks... and generating arthritis in our index fingers...

MarkHeinze
6-Contributor
(To:dschenken)

So, do you know, how do I go about making this a suggestion for future improvement to PTC?

Where do I go, what form do I fill out?

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:MarkHeinze)

Create a product idea.  Here's my favorite product idea Does PTC ever read these?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:StephenW)

This seems to be the root problem with most of the ideas:

TomU
23-Emerald IV

In Creo 3 and 4 you have access to the symbols while entering text:

On the other hand, if you edit the text by opening the properties box you will still need to open the symbol list separately.

Here's the "official" answer on how to create new ideas:  Idea Submission Process

MarkHeinze
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

Thank you. I have submitted the idea.

in the meantime, you can try to memorize the keyboard shortcut CTRL+A + lowercase letter + CTRL+B; this way you don't even need to waste time with mouse movements and clicks:

PROE_(ctrl+a)_text-symbols.PNG

for instance, to put in the diameter symbol : CTRL+A, n, CTRL+B

Hi Mark,

Thank you for submitting your idea - posting a link to it within this discussion will give it a bit more exposure (and possibly votes)

🙂

Best,

Toby

MarkHeinze
6-Contributor
(To:Tmetcalf)

Sounds like linking this thread to the posted idea would be good.

Too bad it is not intuitively obvious how to do that.

MarkHeinze
6-Contributor

If that little "scroll" box is what is offered in Creo 3 & 4 (we're still on Creo 2), then I gotta say that's pathetic. That is no improvement from a usability point of view.

Even worse actually:

Creo 2: click to open "Text Symbol" dialog box, click choice.

Creo 3 & 4: click and hold and scroll, click choice

Having to scroll is the same as having to open an additional dialog box to get what you need. Scrolling though is more difficult than clicking.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

You can pick the down arrow and the whole thing will display, but then it reverts back to it's original size after picking one of the symbols.  Expand, select, expand, select, ...

MarkHeinze
6-Contributor

This is what we get to look forward to in Creo 3 & 4. Should I or.

Anyway, found out I can just paste the link to the idea here - there was only delete under the "Actions" drop down button.

So if you want to vote, here is the idea:

Integrate "Text Symbol" dialog box directly into "Note Properties" dialog box.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I believe this is Raphael Nascimento‌'s area.  He might be able to shed some light on where this is headed...

dschenken
21-Topaz I

It looks like the Ribbon version has a Truetype font, not the text symbols, so it's two different things.

Was there an angry meeting with table pounding and yelling that said the symbol box -had- to stay in the ribbon? That's what I picture whenever I see what looks like the paper-tube view interface, where one is forced to scroll around to see the otherwise hidden parts of the interface. It's like it's more important to stick to a consistent developer's tool even when it makes a bad interface.

Hugo-KTM
11-Garnet

I just want to note something I just discovered, that I did not find mentioned anywhere else and it kind of fits in here:

The "Text Symbol..." button in the Note Properties dialogue is affected by the setting drawing option (DTL) "symbol_font":

symbol_font Text Symbol...
iso disabled
stroked_iso disabled
asme * disabled
stroked_asme disabled
legacy enabled

Top Tags