cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Opening and editing Creo 2.0 files on Creo 1.0

ptc-4400449
1-Newbie

Opening and editing Creo 2.0 files on Creo 1.0

I am looking to view and modify part files created in Creo 2.0 on the previous 1.0 version.

Wondering if that is possible without requiring any add-ons?

Thank you.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not true, it's possible, but not necessarily simple.

You need the GCRI (Granite Cross Release Interoperability) plug-in. It's a free download here. It allows opening a later version file in an earlier version of Creo or Proe.

There are limitations and I've not used it much to be able to speak to them with much authority. My understanding is that you do not get the model tree, only geometry. It is, however, tied to the original, I believe, so if you modify the original in Creo 2, the Creo 1 part will update. Sort of a "smart blob" instead of the "dumb blob" you'd get with STEP or IGES.

From folks who've played with it, it's best used as a stop gap measure until you can get Creo 2 up and running yourself rather than an ongoing solution for exchanging data between systems..

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ptc-4400449)

There are no add ins. Opening files from a later version in an earlier one is not supported. The only option is to export it in some neutral format like STEP. Sorry.

JamesBurcham
4-Participant
(To:TomU)

You will need to use GCRI, or Ganite Cross Release Interoperablility. Attached is a PDF explaining this. The PDF contains links, that should lead you to the software required. Saddly there is no way to open new files in an older versions without this.

Looks we were typing at the same time. Guess I'm just slow. 😛

--
LinkedIn

I wouldn't say you were slower, you just typed a lot more then I did. I chose to just attach the PDF and let it do the explaining for me.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:JamesBurcham)

I guess you have to define what you mean by "modify part models". In my mind that means making changes to existing features. GCRI will NOT let you do that. (The features are all read only.) Furthermore, according to the linked document the person who you got the Creo 2.0 file from will have to manually reincorporate your Creo 1.0 changes back into their model. You cannot simply send a Creo 2.0 model back with your Creo 1.0 changes already in it. (see page 4)

By the way, that is a really old document. First time I ever saw "Wildfire 6.0" in print anywhere.

"A Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0 user will be able to retrieve such data when using the Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 6.0 plug-in to read Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 6.0 models however." (page 7)

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:TomU)

WF6, that's funny. That has to go back a llong ways. Creo 1 launched in 2011 and was announced in the fall of 2010.

--
LinkedIn

Not true, it's possible, but not necessarily simple.

You need the GCRI (Granite Cross Release Interoperability) plug-in. It's a free download here. It allows opening a later version file in an earlier version of Creo or Proe.

There are limitations and I've not used it much to be able to speak to them with much authority. My understanding is that you do not get the model tree, only geometry. It is, however, tied to the original, I believe, so if you modify the original in Creo 2, the Creo 1 part will update. Sort of a "smart blob" instead of the "dumb blob" you'd get with STEP or IGES.

From folks who've played with it, it's best used as a stop gap measure until you can get Creo 2 up and running yourself rather than an ongoing solution for exchanging data between systems..

--
LinkedIn
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags