cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Question about layouts

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Question about layouts

Hi all,

i have been looking at using layouts for the first time over the last couple of days, & i thought i had them figured out. I have created some parameters & wanted to illustrate these in a sketch. I created my 2d sketch & dimensioned it, but found out that the dimensions became parameters themselves, visible in the parameter table. I do not want this, i just want to show what each parameter is controlling by way of a simple dimension, why does the dimension become a parameter. Maybe layouts cannot be used in the way i see them.

Regards

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Ok, i figured this out (i think), you kind of work in reverse with these layouts. You do not create your parameters first, you create your sketch first, then dimension it, & these dimensions become your parameters. I do have another question though, can you copy 2d geometry from a pro-e drawing to one of these layouts, it would be handy if i could convert a pro-e drawing view into draft entities & copy them to a layout, it appears the only way to copy an existing view is to create a dxf of it, & import in.

Regards

John

It doesn't matter which you create first. The sketch is just a visual reference, you don't even have to have a sketch. If you create the parameter first when you dimension your sketch just type in the same name (case does matter, if type you type in lower case you may get an error message).

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst
(To:Kevin)

Thanks for the info Kevin, that is good to know for the future.

Regards

John

John,

Besides from using Insert > Shared Data > From File... to import 2D data from a dxf for example, you could also use "Overlays" to place an view or sheet of an existing drawing as an overlay to your layout file. Use Tools > Overlays. See the pro/E help file for detailed explanation about this.

The overlay in the layout will update if there are changes in the source drawing.

Tip: If you have an existing drawing of a model, and you want to show the dimension symbol instead of the value, use @S instead of @D in the dimension properties text.

Top Tags