cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Questions about fundamentals

ptc-6161310
1-Newbie

Questions about fundamentals

Hello

I am new to Creo. I am trying to learn it, on my own, as quickly as possible. I've been a drafter for many, many years. I am an expert in another two applications. I apologise ahead if this is not the right place for this question. If this is the case, I would appreciate it if you could direct me to the right place.

The way I am learning, is by going through as many tutorials and materials as I am able to find online. Many of them have shown me many neat things that Creo has.

My first fundamental question has to do with Part Master, or Master Model - I am even unsure of the proper terminology.

As I understand it, this refers to a model (or assembly, perhaps?) that includes all the design intent. This model is restricted, locked, and controlled by the project's 'owner'. As such, it seems to me that the primary purpose of this would be to have one or more people create variations of this master model, with it remaining intact, perhaps for the goal of evaluating iterations or maybe to generate families of parts that vary in size or that have a shape variation from the original master model.

Is that statement correct? If not, can someone correct it for me?

In Creo, what is the procedure to create a part as a master model,or to define an existing part as one? Can anyone provide an example, or point to one?

A 1.1 question would be if the master model concept applies to assemblies in a way different from skeleton modeling?

My second question is with regards to skeleton modeling. Again, the concept is understood. In one of the tutorials I did, the skeleton was created as a skeleton part, a basic mechanism sketch was created there, and two parts were subsequently created using coordinate system references for placing them in the assembly. In other words, there were no 'direct relationships' established between the sketch geometry of the parts that were created and the actual sketch geometry of the skeleton. In that tutorial, CS were placed in key points of the skeleton sketch, and later, when the parts were made, they were placed using assembly constraints between their CS and the ones that were placed in the skeleton sketch, as needed.

Is this just one way of doing this, or is this the way of doing it? I mean, if I'm making the sketch of a new part, in the context of the assembly, and I project the relevant geometry from the skeleton sketch, wouldn't a relationship be created where any changes in the skeleton sketch would control the sketch (and therefore, the feature), of the part?

The last question for now, has to do with deriving parts from existing parts. This is a topic that I am just about to begin researching, so I guess I'm just mentioning it here, not really asking yet. I'll be creating a simple part, and then I want to generate other parts based on it. The generated parts can have variations in size and even shape. Whenever the original part is changed, that change would ripple through the derived parts.

I truly appreciate any time you can spend shedding some light in these questions.

David

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

ok, I just found a great explanation to the fundamentals of skeleton modeling here:

http://communities.ptc.com/message/199508#199508

I still have the question of referencing geometry from a sketch in the skeleton vs placing new parts constraining them to CS created in the skeleton.

D

Top Tags