cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Questions from the Creo unveiling

RyanBowman
1-Newbie

Questions from the Creo unveiling

The Creo unveiling was a very interesting show; I can't wait to try it! It certainly left a lot of questions ot be asked, though. I'd like to start a Q&A thread. Here are a few of my own to begin:

• They demonstrated bringing a parametric model into the direct modeler, making changes, and bringing it back into the parametric mode. Does it also work the other way? Can I start a part from scratch in direct modeling and later manipulate it in the parametric mode?
  • We have current CoCreate users looking to migrate to Pro/E. Should we train on Wildfire 5 now or wait for Creo?
  • What does Windchill look like now?
  • How are boolean operations addressed when moving between parametric and direct modeling? Can we still section, subtract, and unite parts as in CoCreate?
  • Is there still a strong distinction between assembly space and part space? Is it easier to work entirely at the assembly level?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

I am in the process of implementing ProductPoint.

• How will this change in CREO
  • Will CREO support ProductPoint as it is or is there a ProductPoint App that is being made
  • Will my data transfer over to CREO
  • Does CREO provide the Social Engineering aspects of ProductPoint

We also use Restyle or Reverse Engineering Extension

• Is REX going to offered as an app in CREO
  • Will it be part of CREO 1.0
  • Are there any changes in how CREO handles point cloud data

We have both CoCreate and Pro/E (5 to 1 ratio). We have both Model Manager and Windchill systems implemented. However our Model Manager system is much more mature and more heavily used (probably 100 to 1 in terms of accumulated data). So my biggest question is:

WHAT ABOUT MODEL MANAGER?

I noticed it was conspicuously never mentioned during the Creo presentation. And immediately afterwards when I went on creo.ptc.com and searched for it, again nothing. This is very concerning to me because having worked with both database systems, Windchill is a nightmare and overkill for most of our needs. I do NOT relish the idea of being forced to migrate off of Model Manger into Windchill. But I cannot imagine that Creo does not ultimately spell the demise of standalone CoCreate (even if it is called Creo Elements / Direct). If standalone CoCreate goes, then so must Model Manager, right? Tell me I am wrong!

FYI in case anybody runs into this thread, when I visited PTC in January 2011 for the technical committee, I asked this question. The answer was: PTC's plans for the moment do not call for obsolescance of Model Manger. For now they plan to first implement a bridge between Model Manager and Windchill, followed by a direct Windchill integration for Creo Elements|Direct next year or so. For the next few years (as far as they were willing to estimate), Model Manager will continue to be a supported option for CAD data management for Creo Elements|Direct. Maybe they won't be spending much time improving it into the future, but it is pretty functional the way it is and I guess they don't see the need to force anybody with lots of Model Manager data to immediately jump onto Windchill.

We decided to switch from implementing Intralink to ProductPoint because we did not need most of the features offered by Intralink.

We simply needed the data management and revision control that ProductPoint provides. We have not implemented ProductPoint yet but the plan is for a May install. 🙂

Top Tags