cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

RSDesigner 7.0 (M020) Catalog Error "sys_id already exi

ptc-969807
1-Newbie

RSDesigner 7.0 (M020) Catalog Error "sys_id already exi

Changes were made to an item in the central catalog through an Administrator's Design. This same block was simultaneously being used by a different RSD user on a separate work-station / RSD Design. Said object was shown out of date in the above mentioned design. When an update was attempted, the user was denied and received a "not defined for type UNSET" (which I understand is a completely generic fault that could mean anything). I assumed this to likely mean that RSD was having an issue because there was an instance already used on a sheet or group in this design. We removed the instance from the sheet, saved the sheet, and closed the sheet. We then verified the catalog again and this time the update went through. Additional verify catalog's show that all objects are up to date. Now when you go to the catalog and try to place an instance of this block, the preview is not visible and the following fault is displayed. >>>> error <<<< sys_id already exists This same block shape works fine in other designs. RSD was exited multiple times and this did not remedy the problem. Please advise with any advice you might have.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-969807)

Each item in your Central Catalog has a unique interal system ID#. You can only view this by opening each CC item in notepad... but I do NOT recommend trying to change anything that way.. view only. Somehow this verified and re-verified CC item has been assigned the same SYS ID as another item. The only way I can think of to clear this up is to remove the item from the internal catalog of the design with the issue, and then reload the CC and hope that clears the logjam. If all else fails, log a call and cross your fingers. Good luck!
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
mkemp
1-Newbie
(To:CBenner)

Hi Eric, I agree with Chris's conclusion. It would be great if you could log a call and hopefully provide some test data because this situation should be resolved. As you pointed out you the '...not defined for type UNSET' error is a generic error that you should not have seen. Regards, Martin
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:mkemp)

Martin, I have been trying for 2 years to convince PTC that the RSD interface needs to be completely overhauled, and that RSD 7.0 is full of bugs and errors. The product concept is great, but it's too hard to use. We dropped it and went back to AutoCAD for P&ID's. I've logged call, put up enhancement requests, even sent a multi-page document with videos to our reseller to demonstrate what we thought were the worst issues. I know I'm just one user form a small company, but I don't seem to be able to get very far with this. As a PTC employee in Needham, maybe you have some pull? Perhaps PTC needs to poll users to find out if all of them are having to fight throiugh these issues. It would seem that you would want your product to be the best it can possibly be. Just my thoughts.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
Top Tags