cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Read Only to Force Save a Copy?

Kelvin2514
1-Newbie

Read Only to Force Save a Copy?

I am working with WF5 and creating models for 4th and 5th grade students to use and modify. As an introduction I have found it very helpful to provide the kids with a model that is built up to a point where they only have to finish a sketch to complete the entire model. For example we are doing a wind turbine and all the kids have to do is edit definition on a sketch of the blade, modify the shape with the sketch tools and check it in. The extrude and pattern features are already done so as soon as they check in the sketch the entire turbine design is finished.

This has worked really well as an introduction to sketching and 3D part creation. I teach this activity to new kids every week and therefore I use the template over and over again. The problem I have is that kids will save over the template and then I'll have to pull the template from a difference location onto the machine the kid was working on. Currently I tell the kids to Save a Copy and give their model a new name but invariably someone just clicks save and the template has to be replaced.

Is there a way to make a file read only similar to how read only works in Microsoft Office files. It would be great if when a kid clicks on the save button they are prompted to save a copy under a different name?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
David_M
5-Regular Member
(To:Kelvin2514)

You can use Windows Permissions to make it so that no new files can be created in a folder, and make it so that the files which are in there can't be modified or deleted.

What won't work is just making the files themselves read-only, as Pro/E always saves a new file rather than overwriting an existing file.

My reservation with the approach is that when a user tries to save, the message saying "Write access denied..." is easily missed. Although it would teach them to keep an eye on the message area.

Perhaps someone else knows of another way?

Top Tags