cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Referencing sketched hole

hmr
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Referencing sketched hole

Hi Guys,

Need help

When creating a hole directly we can select a reference face instead of giving depth dimension, but while creating a sketched hole we can only select position & orientation reference faces not the depth reference. Is there any way we can reference the sketched hole depth???

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10
BrianMartin
11-Garnet
(To:hmr)

Hi Harish...

If I'm understanding you correctly, you'd like to automatically add a reference for depth to your sketched holes. For example, let's say you sketched a hole in a 20mm thick plate and wanted it to extrude to a depth 2mm less than the thickness of that plate. There's no way to do this currently. Once you're in a sketched hole, you have no method of picking up a depth reference. You have to build that depth value into your sketch. The best thing you can do is set a sketch relation to control depth based upon other available dimensions.

For instance, you could set a sketch relation to control the hole depth based on the plate depth minus 2mm. That's about the best you can do the way the system is set up right now.

If anyone disagrees or has a better workaround, please post it because I've always struggled with this!

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi Brian,

You have got my point, as per you the sketched hole cannot be referenced even if we want to have depth of the hole to whole thickness of plate??

Harish

BrianMartin
11-Garnet

Hi Harish...

Yep... that's what I'm saying. Even if you want the full depth, there's no way to capture that depth data other than by relation.

To use this you'd interrogate the plate thickness and note it's dimension id. Maybe you'd even rename the dimension "plate_thk" or something similar. Then you'd give your sketched hole a depth dimension. It would appear as "sd#" (for example "sd5"). You'd then write a relation in the sketcher setting sd5 = plate_thk

That's about your only option. Once you're in that sketched hole dialog box, you're prevented from picking up any additional references. The only other thing I can think of would be to create a user-defined feature (UDF) that allowed you to pick the depth reference. This would require additional work but you could then drop a sketched hole via UDF into your model and reference a surface to pick up the depth.

I wish I had a better answer for you. I think this is about the best we have!

Thanks!

-Brian

Thanks Brian

Typically the "first" extruision in a sketch has a depth value of "d0" (that is a zero). As I make subsequent holes that I want completely thru,, I'll use "d0" as a relation in the value box and then add the relation.

hmr
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:KrisR)

Thanks Kris, That't what even Brian was advising but my requirement was to reference the depth of sketched hole for which I couldn't get solution.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

You can always do a revolved cut with a sketch instead of a hole feature. Then you can use relations and/or references.

What about UDF's?

hmr
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Hi Antonius,

Yup, revolve is one more option which i can give a try for, Sketched hole is also revolve itself, except that there is no option to select references in sketched hole right???

I have not created any UDFs, Advice me some good material to go through & try some, please.

Best Regards,

Harish

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorial/464/creating-udfs

You may need to log in with your PTC credentials.

hmr
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Thank you

Top Tags