cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Regeneration speed of surface models

ShandRonnie
5-Regular Member

Regeneration speed of surface models

I would like to hear your opinions regarding using hardware models from McMaster that when imported into Pro/E they are a single imported surface feature that solidifies into a model with mass properties.

I understand that because it is a surface model (single feature in the model tree) it should regenerate pretty fast.

Some users in my group do not like seeing the threads modeled into the fasteners because it could slow down regeneration times.

What are your experiences on this topic?

Thanks in advance,

Ronnie Shand

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

I have found the "threads" (they are simply concentric rings if I recall right) on McMaster models do seem to slow regen times. What I've done is extrude or revolve a cylinder over top of them and that speeds things up nicely.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

I would say use the imported model as a template and then remodel it as you please. I have found models from vendor web sites that have issues like the surface isn't a totally enclosed surface and thus will not solidify.

If you are talking about a rather simple part like a screw model it and make a family table for different sizes and lengths. You can also name it with an appropriate naming convention used by your group.

I have found taking the short cut in Pro/E (Creo) doesn't pay in the long run and usually worth it to take a little more time up front and do it right so you are not fixing things over and over down the road.

Sincerely,
Mark A. Peterson
Design Engineer
Varel International
lxandr@sbcglobal.ent

mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:ShandRonnie)

Group at Large,

I would LOVE to say that you can trust McMaster-Carr to make a decent model
of a Socket Head Screw. The fact is that they can’t or DON’T.

I am in the process of making a hardware part that will allow me to
interchange screws from a socket head to a flathead or buttonhead at will.
As far as I know nobody has ever done anything like this. I use McMaster’s
part files to get dimensions that are not covered in any of the Machinery
Handbooks, etc.

Michael P. Locascio

I have much better luck using hardware models from Fastenal.com than any other source I've found.

After it turns solid add a protrusion over threads to make solid. Should not mess with time as part should not regen unless you change one of the two features. Shade to hidden and no hidden will not be effected as it will not see all the extra thread surfaces so you should see no time problems.

Ron
Top Tags