cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Replacing Model in Drawing

mwesselski
1-Newbie

Replacing Model in Drawing

I have a drawing which I copied and renamed.   We are currently creating a development drawing and then later a production drawing in which we use a different drawing number.     I want to replace the model in which the views are created from with an identical model assembly with a slightly different part number.  I've tried the "Drawing Models" commands and I've added the model, so it shows up in my list of models.  I've tried to use "Replace" but it doesn't seem to work.   How would I go about doing this and preserving my views and dimensions, etc.?   Thanks

33 REPLIES 33
hwilliams
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

This too is my first time posting and came across this thread while searching for an answer to the below issue I am having.

I have been using the 'Create family table -> replace in drawing -> delete family table' to replace models in drawings for a while now and have never really had an issue.

I did it again today and all 'draft' based Geometric Tolerances are either not showing or are not able to be edited. e.g. datum's showing in the ribbon box but not on the drawing, tolerance values not able to be updated. The model based datum's seem to be un-affected.

If I add the original model to the drawing (views still reference the new assembly)  the draft datum's all show and perform as expected. From that, I would assume that these draft annotations are linked to the original assembly. Reference viewer doesn't show a link between the two assemblies.

Is there a way to get these draft annotations moved across to the new assembly so I can remove the obsolete configuration from the drawing.

Bit of background of the assembly if it helps:

- Drawing is a -100 assembly with a -001 part within it. New assembly is a -200 with a -002 part. Drawing references the model annotations within the part not the assembly. Family tables were created to create the -002 part and another to add the new -002 part to the newly created -200 assembly.

-Running Creo 4 with Windchill

-The drawing / assembly was created in 2016 so re-drawing with model based annotations is probably not on the cards at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Hugh

To close this community thread on the ability to Replace Model in Drawing.

Summary of the proposed solutions, also detailed in article CS109945 :

• For existing models:
    • Only Family Table instances can be used with Drawing Models > Replace command from Layout tab of the ribbon.
    • Starting with Creo 4.0 it is also possible to Replace View Model (and their dependent views) with Family Table but also Simplified Representation or Reference Model (such as Merge or Inheritance). See Creo Help center here
    • The workaround of replacing the drawing model at system level (renaming the unrelated model to the drawing model one on disk) is sometimes used, but is strongly discouraged for data integrity.

• To derive new models:
    • You can use File > Save As > Save a Copy of the model after setting the config.pro option rename_drawings_with_object to both, the model and the drawing MUST have the same name. Then act on the copies.
    • You could also use File > Save As > Save a Backup and then File > Manage File > Rename to change both model and drawing names, be cautious which objects are in session when performing the Rename operation.
    • Above methods are preferred. However some users create temporary Family Table instances, replacing the drawing model with them and, while keeping the instances in session, delete the Family Table before saving anything. The goal is to make them standalone objects and get rid of the generic reference before saving the new objects.
    • If using a PDM or PLM system (like Windchill) it may be easier to collect and copy / rename the dependent objects in the Commonspace or Workspace.

I just had the same problem as you. What I did was to ADD the new model and then I deleted the old model. I just had to re-edit some of the content in my drawing since it was automatically changed (not all of it).

I hope this works for you

Top Tags