cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

SUMMARY: Simplified Reps and BOM Balloons

wattyinabq
1-Newbie

SUMMARY: Simplified Reps and BOM Balloons

Jeff lined me out with a previous post he had made.

ORIGINAL POST:
I think I already know the answer to this but here goes. I have a large assembly drawing. There needs to be many partial views to show all of the components. This results in very long regeneration times redrawing all the views. So I decided to try using simplified reps that had just the components I need in each partial view. That works great except the BOM balloons from the Master Rep BOM can not be shown on the Simplified Rep views.

JEFF'S METHOD:
Here is my method to adding balloons to Simplified Reps using only one table (repeat region) set to the Top Level Assembly.
A.) Top level assembly / create a simplified rep of what you want to have displayed on your drawing Exploded or not. (Save and name it)
B.) Orientate the view around so it looks nice / save the view name.
C.) In drawing mode / Top level assembly active / insert a drawing view using the saved view you created above
D.) Let's clean up the view. Click the pull down: View / Drawing Display / Component Display / Blank / Picked view (now pick the Binoculars, to Search) Click on the View and the Search GUI pops up.
D1.) In the Search Tool GUI chose: Status / Rule= Display / Criteria= Simplified Rep, Sate=(Rep Name Step A above) Comparison= Is equal to, Value= Exclude (we are excluding the Rep from being blanked) Now click on Find Now, Items listed in left column are what will get blanked, click on one of the items and do a Ctrl "A" to select them all, Click the >> to move them into the selected column, and click on close, middle mouse button twice to confirm and exit.
E.) Your new view will only show the simplified Rep, from there you can Balloon the items using the Bom table looking at your top level Assembly.
Tips:
* When creating your simplified rep, use the Exclude rule and add comps as you need them, keeps your view from populating
* When placing your view on the drawing use a small scale size at first while you clean up the view then change it to what you need, this will help in regen time and to help visually trust me on large assemblies you'll need this tip
* When doing a Ctrl "A" to select all the items to blank, before selecting the >> to move them into the selected column make sure Pro is finished searching; Hint Red Stop sign is done flashing.
* You can Explode the view by selecting the view Props and changing values around the way you see fit

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

We are facing this same problem everyday but has yet to find a good solution for it.

Thanks for a creative workaround, however, there are some major drawbacks with this method.

1. The viewbox is not scaled to the visible geometry.

2. If you change the rep. the view does not automatically reflect on this.

To bad that PTC can not give us a good solution to such a common problem 😞

Hugo

Top Tags