cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Scaling an assembly

kpv20
1-Newbie

Scaling an assembly

I have a large assembly with more than 1000 components created using ProEngineer Wildfire 3.0. I would like to scale down the full model by a scale of 1/50. I tried two methods the first one being the 'scale model' option which doesnt seem to do anything when I enter a scaling value. I also tried to do the scaling by using the 'units' option whereIsuccessively converted the lenght units from millimeter to inch and then back to millimeter without applying the conversion factor. This didnt work either.

Does anyone know a way to scale an assembly in ProEngineer Wildfire 3.0?

Many thanks

Vk

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

Physical Models are always maintained at a 1:1 ratio. If you are trying to scale the model down to 1/50 youwill have to create Custom Units where 1=0.02 so 1 of your units = 0.02 after the factor takes place.
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:kpv20)

I don't really understand what the initial question may or may not have been
here. So if I speak out of turn it is because I am misinformed.

It seems to me that the original question was something about scaling down a
model. I am not sure exactly what you are planning to do with the model and
I would like to make some recommendations.

In Pro/E it is best to create the model as a full-scale entity. This will
include any of the components, sub-assemblies, etc. Then, after you have
created this assembly, you can place it on your drawing. Keep in mind that
the model is NOT being scaled down. The view is being scaled in relation to
the model. I hope that this clarifies the point.

Michael P. Locascio

cpodom
1-Newbie

While I have never scaled an assembly all at once we do scale items while still in the Industrial Design stage, but that is by small percents. With large amounts of scaling on small parts you are likely to have sketcher failures. Be careful and why?
Curtis Odom

---- "Michael P. Locascio" <-> wrote:
> I don't really understand what the initial question may or may not have been
> here. So if I speak out of turn it is because I am misinformed.
>
>
>
> It seems to me that the original question was something about scaling down a
> model. I am not sure exactly what you are planning to do with the model and
> I would like to make some recommendations.
>
>
>
> In Pro/E it is best to create the model as a full-scale entity. This will
> include any of the components, sub-assemblies, etc. Then, after you have
> created this assembly, you can place it on your drawing. Keep in mind that
> the model is NOT being scaled down. The view is being scaled in relation to
> the model. I hope that this clarifies the point.
>
>
>
> Michael P. Locascio
>
>
>

Maybe he's trying to make files for a scale physical model of something big via SLA or SLS, ie for a wind tunnel test or a presentation model.

There are real-world scenarios where a model needs to be scaled, and scale views on a drawing are irrelevent.

Best regards Jeff Dayman

I also assumed that would be the case.

If so, I would try exporting the model and scaling the export.

Rui

Jeff Dayman wrote:@font-face { font-family: Cambria Math; } @font-face { font-family: Calibri; } @font-face { font-family: Tahoma; } @page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; } P.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman","serif" } LI.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman","serif" } DIV.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman","serif" } A:link { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99 } SPAN.MsoHyperlink { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99 } A:visited { COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99 } SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99 } SPAN.EmailStyle17 { COLOR: #1f497d; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-style-type: personal-reply } .MsoChpDefault { mso-style-type: export-only } DIV.Section1 { page: Section1 }Maybe he's trying to make files for a scale physical model of something big via SLA or SLS, ie for a wind tunnel test or a presentation model. There are real-world scenarios where a model needs to be scaled,and scale views on a drawing are irrelevent. Best regards Jeff Dayman
mlocascio
4-Participant

Best practice? Don't AutoCAD Pro/E!
mlocascio
4-Participant

Yes, you do bring up a good point. There seems to be something lost in the
translation.

Michael P. Locascio

If it is the case that this is required for SLA, SLS.....The software
that processes the .STL file can scale the geometry easily. One other
issue that I see with trying to scale an assembly is that any assembly
contraints that use an offset probably will not scale.

Jeff
Top Tags